Diarrhoea is a digestive disorder characterised by increased frequency of bowel movements with loose and watery stools. Usually diarrhoea may last for 2-3 days, but sometimes untreated diarrhoea may become fatal due to dehydration.
Causes of Diarrhoea
- Microorganisms are the main reason for diarrhoea. You may ingest diarrhoea-causing organisms through contaminated food or water. The common organisms are Rotavirus, Cytomegalovirus, Salmonella, Shigella and E.coli.
- Certain disease like Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Colitis, Crohn's disease may lead to chronic diarrhoea.
- Indigestion after a heavy meal.
- Few people are unable to digest certain foods like lactose, fructose, gluten, artificial sweeteners, etc., and may experience diarrhoea after ingestion of these kinds of food.
- After surgery and course of antibiotics administration you may get diarrhoea.
Symptoms of Diarrhoea
- Repeated urge to visit toilet.
- Loose or watery stools.
- You may feel febrile.
- Stomach bloating.
- Abdominal cramps.
- Blood or mucus in stools.
- If diarrhoea is severe, you may experience the signs of dehydration.
Signs of Dehydration
- Increased thirst.
- Dry mouth and skin.
- Little, concentrated, dark urine or no urine.
- Giddiness and extreme tiredness.
- Severe pain.
If you notice the above signs, visit your physician immediately.
Dos and Don'ts
- Drink enough amount of water boiled with musta, coriander seeds and nagara (dry ginger powder) to prevent dehydration.
- Eat soft and light foods like gruel/ soup.
- Avoid fibrous and heavy fatty foods.
- Avoid coffee/ tea and alcohol. Drink well churned buttermilk.
- Avoid eating leftover/refrigerated foods. Prefer freshly cooked foods and consume when it is still hot. Leftover food encourages bacterial growth.
- Prevent occurrence of diarrhoea by washing your hands well, avoiding the consumption of contaminated food and water.
Ayurvedic Management of Diarrhoea
The following Ayurvedic medicines may be beneficial
Sometimes it is not ideal to stop the diarrhoea by taking anti-diarrhoeal medicines, as it prevents the elimination of microorganisms which is causing diarrhoea. Hence, consult your doctor and avoid self medications.