Baby colic is a condition where your baby tends to cry continuously, inconsolably more than three to four hours in a day. You may observe more than three such episodes in a week. This cry is unusual when compared to normal crying. Otherwise, the child is healthy. Usually, it starts in 3-6 weeks old babies.
Causes of Baby Colic
- Faulty feeding.
- Food allergy.
- Smoking mother.
- Unhealthy food habits of feeding mother.
- Unpleasant environment.
- Certain illness like pain abdomen, reflux, urinary tract infection, constipation, etc.
Symptoms of Baby Colic
- Loud, continuous, intense crying.
- Red face.
- Episodes occur usually at the same time daily.
- Crying without reason.
- Clenches the fist and curls up the legs.
- Abdominal muscles below tight.
- Baby may pass the gas or spit.
- Rub your palms vigorously to generate heat and mildly massage your baby’s abdomen in the clockwise direction with little pressure.
- Put your baby on your shoulder and pat on his back or massage in the downwards direction.
- Take a small towel, make it warm by using an iron box. Wrap this around your baby’s abdomen.
- Give gripe water or boil 1 tsp of roasted ajwain in a small glass of water, till it reduces to a half glass. Give this to your baby about ½ tsp twice a day.
- Swaddle the baby and create a peaceful environment.
- Put in a swing or rocker and rock slowly.
Tips to Prevent Baby Colic
- Don’t overfeed your baby.
- Keep the baby in an upright posture while feeding.
- Burp the baby after feeding by putting on your shoulders and pat on the baby’s back.
- Give regular oil massage to your baby with lukewarm Ksheerabala taila or bala ashwagandha lakshadi taila before bath.
- If you are feeding, avoid eating junk foods, potatoes, and other gas-forming foods.
- Stop smoking.
- You can take dashamoolarishta and jeerakarishtam.
- Chew few jeera seeds with a pinch of asafetida and rock salt, followed by a glass of hot water.
In practice, regular doses of have proved :
- To be excellent immunity boosters for children from 0-16 years of age
- To prevent recurrent cold, cough and fever
- To improve intelligence, memory, and oratory skills
- To enhance focus, attention span, retention and recall capacity
- To improve complexion and impart a healthy glow
- To improve appetite and digestion in children with poor eating habits
- To be very useful in prevention of bacterial and viral infections
- To improve physical development