Are you a woman? You have every right to be healthy and happy!
Leucorrhoea is a universal condition experienced by women of all ages.
Excessive discharge of a white sticky foul smelling jelly like substance from vagina is called leucorrhoea. It is associated with itching in the genital area and burning micturition. It is known as “sweta pradara” in Ayurveda which involves mainly the Kapha and Vata dosha. Similar conditions have been mentioned in’ kaphaja yoni roga ‘and ‘upapluta yoni roga’ (types of genital tract diseases)
The Major Culprits of Leucorrhoea
- Unhygienic conditions
- Infection of genital tract
- Lack of nutrition
- Impaired immune function
- Excessive intake of oily, heavy, cold, sweet food
- Over indulgence in sexual activity
Pathogenesis According to Ayurveda
Due to the above mentioned causes, kapha dosha aggravates in the place of apaana vata (a type of vata dosha which is responsible for the proper elimination of waste, sexual function, child birth, and menstrual cycles). This impairs the rasa dhatvagni (nutrient plasma) present in vaginal tract leading to painless white discharge.
- Ayurvedic treatment consists of restoring the Agni (digestive fire) in order to cleanse the accumulated toxins and bring kapha dosha back to normalcy.
- To tone the reproductive system, rejuvenating herbs are also prescribed.
List of herbs to Treat Leucorrhoea
Nirogam’s Pushya kit for:
Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding,
Musalikhadiradi kashayam – 15ml +60 ml warm water, 1 hour before breakfast and dinner.
Asokarishtam – 20 ml after meals, thrice a day.
Pushyanuga churnam – 5gms with 1tsp of honey and rice washed water (or warm water) in the morning on an empty stomach mixed with a tsp of honey.
- Wash the external genitalia with one of the following decoctions- Triphala, naalpaamara, alum water.
- Wash the genitalia with water boiled with neem leaves and turmeric.
- Regular douching of genital tract with barks of banyan and fig trees is very effective.
- Guava leaves- An infusion of the tender leaves should be used as douche. It acts as powerful vaginal astringent.
- Walnut leaves- The leaves of the walnut tree contain astringent chemicals. A decoction of the fresh leaves can be used as a douche in the treatment of leucorrhoea.
- Boil 2-3 tsp. of fenugreek seeds in 1 litre of water for ½ an hour. Use this water to wash vagina.
- Take 1 tsp. of powdered asparagus root with 1 tsp. of honey 2 times a day.
- Grind the plant ” touch me not ” and make a paste and consume daily.
- Consume the pulp of aloe Vera.
- Carrot juice mixed with honey in the ratio of 4:1 should be consumed 2 times a day continuously for 14 days.
- Dry the seed of a mango and powder it .Consume 8 Gms of this powder, mixed with adequate sugar and honey.
- Amaranth root (rind) rubbed in 25 ml of water should then be strained and then be given to the patient twice daily.
- Betel nut should be chewed after meals; it has both preventive and curative properties. It prevents the disease from developing further.
- Fasting for 2-3 days on fruit juices also helps to eliminate the morbid matter.
- Increase the intake of fruits and salads. In take of tender coconut water and pulp helps a lot.
- Increase liquids in diet like water, milk, soup which helps to flush out the toxins.
- Fried, spicy food, pickles, and white flour should be avoided.
- Avoid sexually stimulating activities.
- Cold hip bath taken twice a day for 10 minutes at a time will relieve the congestion in the pelvic region and helps in eliminating the morbid matter.
Prevention is better than cure. Follow a good diet and regime, and keep your mind healthy to stay away from leucorrhoea.