Tonsils are the two masses of lymphatic tissue one on each side of the oral pharynx. Tonsillitis in simple words is an infection, either viral or bacterial, of these lymphatic tissues of nodes. Such an infection causes expansion of the tonsils. The degree of severeness varies from mild, moderate to extreme from one affected person to the other. In some cases, enlargement of the lymphatic nodes is often accompanied by continuous bouts of infections. Symptoms of tonsillitis may include fever, pain in the throat, soreness of the throat, and difficulty in swallowing, continuously running nose, congestion of the nasal tract, cough, and continuous bouts of sneezes. It is possible to cure this problem through home remedies. However, if the condition is severe it is best to consult a doctor first.
The following are the natural cures for tonsillitis:
1. This is best and most effective home cure for tonsillitis. Add four teaspoons of honey, 1/4th teaspoon of salt and fresh juice of half a lemon in a lukewarm glass of water.
2. Another helpful cure for tonsillitis is to mix a tinge of turmeric powder and powdered pepper in a glassful of moderately hot milk. Drink this milk for three to five consecutive nights till condition improves.
3. Fresh juice of carrot, cucumber and beet mixed together is helpful in treating tonsillitis. Take three hundred ml of carrot juice, hundred ml of beet juice and hundred ml of cucumber juice, mix it together, do not add any other ingredient and drink it one or two times in a day. Preferably in the morning or the afternoon.
4. Take twelve grams flowers of viola odorata and mix it in fifty ml milk. Boil the mixture. Strain the boiled milk and leave it to cool for awhile. Drink when lukewarm. The remaining residue of flowers of viola odorata is also helpful curing tonsillitis. Fry this residue in some purified butter and in the form of a poultice wrap it firmly but not too tightly around the neck. Leave it wrapped overnight.
5. Take half liter water in a pan. Add two tablespoon fenugreek seeds to the water and leave it to boil for thirty minutes. Let the water cool for a while. Strain this water by removing the seeds and use it to gargle at least two times in a day. It is very helpful in curing enlarged lymph nodes.
6. Take mustard seeds, jute seeds, barley, horseradish seeds, flaxseeds and seeds of radish in same quantities. Grind it and make a paste. Apply this paste on the enlarged tonsils for quick relief.
7. To reduce the inflammation on the tonsils the following remedy is quite useful. Burn some sprigs of water hyacinth and add the ashes in clear mustard oil. Apply this mixture on the tonsils.
8. Immerse white pea roots in water for few minutes. Grind the roots with the water. Drink the water with the grinded roots every day in the morning. After drinking the water eat a chapati with ghee also called the clarified butter.
9. For three consecutive days eat only fruits. Such a diet is helpful in treating tonsillitis.
10. Take half a lemon and sparge little black pepper and common salt on the cut side. Using a fork push the salt and black pepper inside the lemon. Lick the lemon slowly till there is no juice left. Repeat this remedy twice a day.