Asthma comes under shwasa roga,according to Ayurveda,Vitiated prana vayu combines with vitiated kapha dosha,in the lungs and causes obstruction of pranavaha srotas (respiratory passage).In Svaasa Roga, the kapha (phlegm) obstructs the passages of Vayu (breath).
The Vayu thus obstructed causes the difficulty in breathing which is characteristic of this disease and leads to asthma symptoms like throat irritation, persistent cough, wheezing and shortness of breath.
Bronchial asthma is known as tamakasvassa in Ayurveda and considers both gastrointestinal factors and respiratory problems to cause bronchial asthma. Usually the patient would complain of diarrhoea or constipation or indigestion at the start of an asthma attack.
Hence treatment that decreases Kapha and directs Vata in its natural path and clears the channels is to be employed.
Home Remedies for Asthma:
- Take 1 tsp. of fresh ginger juice and mix it in one cup of decoction made from fenugreek. Add honey to taste.
- Mix 10 – 15 drops of garlic juice in warm water and take internally
- Mix 1 tsp. of honey with 1 tsp. of Bay Leaf powder. Take this at bedtime to prevent asthma attacks at night.
- Make a paste with equal quantities of honey mixed in black resin, long Pippli, and dates.dates and take 1 tsp of this paste with warm milk twice day (morning and evening).
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon and ¼ teaspoon of trikatu to a cup of boiling water. Steep for 10 minutes and add honey to taste before drinking. Take this tea twice a day.
- Mix 1 tsp of honey and ? tsp of ground pepper in ¼ cup of onion juice for relief from congestion and breathlessness.
- 3-4 figs should be soaked in warm water overnight. They should be taken first thing in the morning along with the water in which it was soaked.
- A soup prepared from Drumstick leaves, added with lime juice, salt and pepper should be taken regularly.
- During the attack, mustard oil mixed with a little camphor should be massaged over the back of the chest to loosen the phlegm and to ease breathing.
- Regulated inhalation and exhalation and retention of breath in specific postures and pranayama are effective treatment for all kinds of respiratory diseases. You should practise anulom-vilom and kapalbhati.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Asthma
Ayurvedic texts describe asthma as caused by intake of dry or cold food, excessive sex, excessive physical exertion, smoke, dust, etc. Suppression of natural urges, (for example the urge to cough and to vomit), can also give rise to respiratory diseases. Avoidance of all predisposing factors is an essential part of the post treatment regime
- Dashamoolakatutrayam kashayam 2 tablets,twice daily,1 hour before food.
- Swasanandam gutika 2-0-2 to be taken with Dashamoolakatutrayam kashayam tablets.
- Asmagon tablets, 2 tabs twice daily.Vasarishtam with kanakasavam 20 ml with 10 ml water,twice daily,after food.
Nirogam's BreatheEasy Kit:
1. Dasamoolakaduthrayam kashayam: 15ml of kashayam + 60 ml warm water to be taken one hour before breakfast and dinner or as directed by the physician.
Best method to take thaleesapathradi choornam is mixing 2 tsp of choornam with honey and licking this mixture little by little throughout the day. This method is very efficient in relieving congestion of the chest.
Dos and Don’ts
- Avoid intake of fish, potato, curd, milk products, ice cream, sweets, cold food and drinks.
- Avoid vigorous exercise, sun bath, and excessive walking.
- Avoid exposure to dust and smoke.
- Consume green gram, horse gram, dry grapes, lady's finger, honey, lukewarm water.
To get more information and to buy ayurvedic products for relief from asthma, please click the links below:
- Asmagon tablets
- Vasarishtam with kanakasavam 20 ml with 10 ml water twice daily after food.
- Jeevanamrita rasayanam 1 tsp twice daily after food (for prevention).
- Vasaka capsule