Osteoarthritis is known as Sandhi Vata in Ayurveda. In the word Sandhivata, Sandhi means the joint and Vata stands for the Vata Dosha which is the main cause of the disease. In sandhivata, there is vitiation of vata dosha due to abnormal food and physical activities which dries up the synovial fluid and leads to the degeneration of cartilage, joint capsule and bone.
Ayurvedic treatment of Osteoarthritis not only prevents further deterioration in the joints but also rejuvenates damaged cartilages. Vata-alleviating treatments through specific herbs are also suggested for lubrication and strengthening of joints.
The herbs boswellia, turmeric, ashwagandha, ginger, triphala, guggulu, and shatavari have all been shown to decrease inflammation by interfering with the production of inflammatory chemicals in the body.
You may try the following home remedies:
- Roast and crush a handful of fenugreek seeds, take 2 tsp of this powder and add warm water to make a thick paste. Apply on the affected area and cover with leaves of castor leaves and bandage cloth.
- Massage the affected areas with luke warm sesame oil or mustard oil or medicated oil like Narayana or Mahanarayana taila or Ksheerabala taila added with pinch of powdered camphor.
- You can also fry two garlic cloves in two tablespoons of mustard or sesame oil. When the garlic cloves turn black, turn off the heat and strain the oil. Allow the oil to cool until it is comfortably warm, and then massage it into the skin around affected area. Leave it on for about three hours before washing it off. Do this twice daily until you see improvement. You may also add camphor to this oil.
- Soak handful of sesame seeds in a cup of warm water overnight and chew the seeds and drink the water in the early morning. The remedy will make your joint strong, reduces the pain and improve the calcium levels in your body.
- Avoid stale, frozen and refrigerated foods. consume freshly cooked food when it’s still warm.
- Hot soups of lentils, pulses and meat should be taken with powder of ginger, black pepper and long pepper added to them.
- Ghee and oils in moderate amount are necessary in daily diet, as these keep the normal joints properly lubricated and also provide lubrication to the dried up joints.
Ayurvedic treatment procedures like Janu Basti, abhyanga, patra pinda sweda, etc., are highly beneficial in treating this condition. Hence , I would recommend you to consult an Ayurvedic doctor personally and get these external treatment procedures done.
You may also start taking the following internal medicines, which would give you relief from knee joint pain:
- Bonton active granules.Dissolve 1 tsp of bonton granules in a glass of hot milk and consume once a day in empty stomach.
- Rasnasaptakam kashayam,2 tablets,twice daily,before food with warm water.
- Joint aid oil for local application (massage)
- Zeotone capsule 1 capsule a day,before food with warm milk.
- Arthcare oil for local application(massage)
Avoid intake of spicy, deep fried food items, cold food and drinks. Also, avoid suppression of natural urges and night outs.
To get more info on, and to buy, some of the ayurvedic products mentioned in this article, please click on links below: