Menopause is a transition period in every woman, where there will be a gradual cessation of menstrual cycle. When there is complete cessation of your menstrual cycle for 1 year then you are said to have attained menopause. Majority of females attain their menopause between the ages of 45-55 years.
The following home remedies and medicines would help to balance the hormone levels and also relieve you from the symptoms of menopause.
- Include higher amounts of omega 3 fatty acids in diet. Flaxseeds are the best natural source of omega-3 fatty acids, which can be taken either in roasted or powdered form.
- Consume moderate amounts of soy products.
- Aloe vera is a multipurpose herb that is known for its moisturising properties and helps to keep the female reproductive organs healthy. You can consume 30-40 ml of aloe vera juice daily.
- Add some sage leaves and coriander seeds to a pan of water, boil the water for 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let it steep for 5-10 minutes. Strain out the solid part and separate the liquid part. Add little quantity of sugar candy or jaggery to the liquid part and mix well. Drink this decoction once a day everyday.
- Ayurveda recommends switching to a diet that pacifies Pitta. This could be achieved by avoiding spicy, greasy and acidic foods like tomatoes, onions, garlic, chiles, red wine, sour oranges and grapefruits, fried foods, and also white sugar. You need to focus on the foods which keeps your body cool like cucumbers, mint, cilantro, coconut, watermelon, fennel, legumes, fresh dairy products and green leafy vegetables.
- Include a glass of pomegranate juice in your daily diet.
- Ayurvedic herb shatavari has been useful for both menopausal hot flashes and PMS associated with irritability and mood swings.
- Shatavari plus capsules – 1 capsule twice daily would be beneficial. It contains shatavari as well as fenugreek, which is loaded with phytoestrogens.
- Regular practice of yoga and exercise helps to burn accumulated fat and maintains your weight.
- Start practising meditation and pranayama, which helps you to overcome depression, mood swings and stress.
You may face few complications like osteoporosis, pigmentation and urinary incontinence after menopause. To avoid these complications you may follow below tips.
- Do regular body massage with oil to maintain your glow. Apply kumkumadi taila all over your face to reduce the intensity and prevention of pigmentation.
To overcome calcium deficiency, eat foods rich in calcium
- Milk and milk products.
- Soya beans, soya milk, almonds.
- Green leafy vegetables like spinach, turnip.
- Fortified orange juice, cereals with Vitamin D.
- Sesame – daily chewing of a handful of white sesame in the morning provides at least 1200 mg of natural calcium.
- Soak 10 almonds overnight in water. In the morning, peel them and blend with a cup of warm milk and drink regularly.You may take Bonton active granules in the dose of 1 tsp mixed with a glass of milk in empty stomach.
- Practice Kegel exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles, which helps to overcome urinary incontinence.