Allergy is a condition where your body reacts to certain allergens like dust, pollen, specific type of food, etc., whereas most people will not react. It is your body’s immune response, which starts producing antibodies against these allergens.
Symptoms depend upon the type of allergens and the system involved. It may be a simple runny nose to fatal anaphylactic shock.
Signs and Symptoms of Allergies
Common signs and symptoms include:
- Runny nose or nasal congestion.
- Red rashes.
- Swelling of lips, face.
- Difficulty in breathing.
- Nausea or vomiting.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Allergies
Ayurveda generally suggests usage of immunity enhancers. Herbs like giloy, manjistha, khadira are beneficial for blood purification as well as balancing the pitta dosha.
The following medicines are beneficial in dust and pollen allergy:
- Haridrakhanda, 1 tsp with honey or warm water or warm milk twice daily
- Mahasudarshan churna 1 tsp with warm water, twice daily, after food
- Tul-C capsules, 1 capsule twice daily
In case of food allergy, Bilwadi gutika will be beneficial.
Home Remedies for Allergies
You may also try the following home remedies:
- Water boiled with fennel seeds and coriander seeds can be consumed daily
- Drink a glass of bottle gourd juice (lauki juice) mixed with pinch of turmeric powder
Dos and Don’ts
- Include sufficient bitter vegetables and turmeric in your diet
- Avoid eating vegetables from the nightshade family, which includes tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, yellow, green and red peppers. These foods clog the channels and create ama (toxins).
- Avoid vinegar, pickles, ketchup, salad dressings, etc.
- Always eat freshly cooked food, avoid processed or canned food.
- Avoid exposure to dust, pollens and other allergens.
- Regular practice of Jala Neti with saline water and pranayama (anulom vilom, kapalbhati) are also effective.
If you have ever faced a severe allergic reaction, carry a badge or medical card mentioning about the specific allergen with you to help with medical intervention in case of anaphylactic reaction.
To get more information and to buy ayurvedic products for relief from allergies, please click on links below: