Bronchitis is an inflammatory condition of your airways characterised by repeated coughing. It may be either acute or chronic.
Causes of Bronchitis
- Acute bronchitis is caused by viral infection, which causes cold and flu.
- Chronic bronchitis may be due to repeated exposure to air pollutants or toxins or chain smoking or due to recurrent gastric reflux.
- Decreased immune power may cause dust allergy, etc., and precipitate bronchitis.
Symptoms of Bronchitis
- Repeated coughing.
- Difficulty in breathing.
- Expulsion of sputum/ phlegm.
- Pain or discomfort in chest.
- Consume only freshly prepared food when it is still warm. Avoid stale and refrigerated foods.
- Drink only warm or hot water. Avoid cool drinks.
- Minimise the intake of milk products.
- Have early dinner around 7.30 – 8.00 pm.
- Avoid exposure to air pollutants, smoke and cold breeze. Try to wear mask while driving.
- Avoid strenuous and vigorous exercises.
- Avoid curds, ice cream and cigarette smoking.
- Do regular steam inhalation.
- Do pranayama and breathing exercises daily.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Bronchitis
The following medicines would be beneficial for treating bronchitis:
- Dashamoolarishta and Pushkaramoolasavam.
- Sitopaladi churna, Talisapatradi churna with honey and Yashtimadhu churna.
- Breathaid capsules, 1 capsule,twice daily, after food.
- Kasturyadi gutika, Swasa kasa chintamani rasa and Dhanvantara gutika.
- Asmagon tablets, 2 tablets twice daily.
- Once you are relieved out of acute condition, you may take Jivanamrtam rasayanam, Chyavanprash or Haridrakhanda daily to improve your immunity.
Home Remedies for Bronchitis
You may also try these home remedies:
- Take 1 glass of milk, add ¼ tsp of turmeric powder and ¼ tsp of pepper powder, mix well and boil. Drink this milk twice daily.
- Warm salt water gargles help to loosen the phlegm and reduces the discomfort in chest
- Massage front and back of your chest with warm Karpooradi tailam and give fomentation with hot water bag or pottali prepared out of rock salt. This will liquefy the phlegm from your chest and aids easy elimination of mucus.
- Extract fresh tulsi juice from tulsi leaves. Take 1 tsp of juice with ½ tsp of honey, thrice daily.
To get more information and to buy ayurvedic products for relief from bronchitis and other respiratory problems, please click the links below: