E.coli stands for Escherichia coli, a bacteria which lives in the intestine of human beings and animals. Some strains of E.coli causes various infections like stomach upset, urinary tract infection, etc.
Causes of E.coli
- Consumption of contaminated food and water.
- Eating uncooked or improperly cooked meat.
- Drinking unpasteurised milk.
- Not washing hands properly after using rest room.
- Swimming in pools with contaminated water.
- Infected pets can spread infection to you.
- Decreased immune level will make your more susceptible.
Symptoms of E.coli
- Watery or bloody diarrhoea.
- Abdominal cramps.
- Delay in treatment may lead to kidney failure and death.
Management of E.coli
- Include sufficient amount of fluids like gruel, soups, buttermilk and pomegranate juice.
- Drink sufficient warm water or boiled and cooled water.
- Boil Musta, jeera, Coriander seeds and shunti in water and keep on drinking few sips every hour to prevent dehydration and abdominal cramps ( Shunti should be avoided in bloody diarrhoea).
- Eat soft, light and easily digestible foods.
- Avoid milk and its products, alcohol and aerated beverages.
- Take proper bed rest.
- Avoid taking antibiotics and antidiarrhoeal medicines.
Ayurvedic Management of E.coli
The following ayurvedic medicines are beneficial:
Dhanvantara vati can be taken to reduce abdominal cramps
Prevention of E.coli
- Wash your hands well after using the rest room and after coming home from public places.
- Avoid eating roadside food and drinks.
- Cook your food properly.
- Use pasteurised milk.
- Drink filtered or boiled and cooled water.
- Wash fruits and vegetables well.
To get more information and to buy ayurvedic products for managing symptoms of E.coli infection, please click the links below: