Prostate cancer is a type of cancer which affects the prostate gland. It is one among the common types of cancer in men. Prostate gland is a small walnut shaped male accessory gland located near the bladder. It produces seminal fluid.
Causes of Prostate Cancer
The main cause for prostate cancer is not known clearly. Following are the few precipitating causes:
- Being obese.
- Old age.
- Repeated infection by sexually transmitted diseases.
- Chronic smoking.
Signs and Symptoms of Prostate Cancer
Initially you will not notice any signs and symptoms. Once the disease advances you may see the following symptoms:
- Difficulty in urinating.
- Blood in seminal fluid or urine.
- Pain during urination or defecation.
- Abnormality in urine flow and incomplete evacuation of urine,
- Pain during sexual intercourse.
- Discomfort and pain in lower abdomen.
- Erectile dysfunction.
- Urinary incontinence.
Treatment of Prostate Cancer
Surgery, Chemotherapy, Radiation therapy and Hormone therapy are the choice of therapies for prostate cancer. Other management methods include:
- Include turmeric, fennel seeds, cumin, pepper, fenugreek and barley sufficiently in your diet.
- Ayurvedic medicines will help you to cope with side effects of cancer and its treatment. Herbs like Kanchanar guggulu, Gokshura, Punarnava, Guduchi, Shilajit, Vit-turmeric, Ashwagandha, Amalaki, etc are beneficial.
- Manage your stress and anxiety by regular exercise, yoga and meditation.
- Keep yourself socially active. Mingle with your family and friends,.
- Eat healthy diet. Include sufficient fruits and vegetables.
- Avoid fatty foods, preserved, canned, frozen foods and sugar rich foods.
- Avoid alcohol consumption, smoking and caffeinated drinks.
- Take sufficient time to empty your bladder completely. Urine retention in the bladder may precipitate infection.
- If you have prostate cancer running in your family, talk to your doctor about early detection and prevention.
To get more information and to buy ayurvedic products to help cope with side effects of cancer treatment, please click on the links below: