When was the last time you had a happy meal and a sound sleep?
Bloated stomach and cramps – you go through all of it when you have gas trouble or flatulence. Having a little gas trouble in not serious though offers a lot of discomfort and embarrassment due to burping and belching. You can take care of it with some restraint on your food habits and simple home remedies. If it is accompanied by pain in the lower tummy, loss of weight, constipation, rectal bleeding and the like you may have to consult your physician to rule out anything undesirable.
Flatulence can be the result of a change in the lifestyle – a totally surprising diet for the stomach (yours probably does not like surprises), irregular eating habits, lack of or change in the level of physical activity, lack of sleep in some and so on. You have to realise that there is a certain bacteria in your stomach that gets to action when there is a lot of starchy food inside like potatoes, certain veggies and cereals. This causes gas in the lower abdomen and results in a lot of burping, pain, full feeling, heaviness in the stomach, feeling like passing the stool every now and then and restless nights! Ayurveda calls this “Adhmaan” which occurs due to disturbed Vata dosha.
Additionally, some people are unaware of having lactose intolerance or gluten intolerance. Lactose intolerant people are by nature allergic to milk and products while gluten intolerant people are allergic to wheat products causing them a lot of stomach trouble. Remedy? Avoid milk products or wheat foods if you don’t feel good after eating them.
Try some simple home remedies before you reach out for OTC medicines.
- Swallow 1-2 tbsp of fenugreek seeds with water to get instant relief from gas.
- Add a pinch of asafoetida or hing to warm water and drink the solution.
- Add a little dry ginger powder, a pinch of asafetida and a pinch of black salt( rock salt or kala namak) in to a little warm water and drink it.
- Crush a garlic clove and drink it with warm water. Some people find instant relief by doing so.
- Boil some onion slices in a cup of water for about 10 minutes. Let it cool and drink it.
- Ginger with lemon juice can make a difference. Or even chew a small piece of ginger after your daily meal.
- Peppermint (menthol) after a meal can do wonders.
- Not for children! 1-2 teaspoons of brandy with warm water is found to be an instant remedy for gas related problems.
- Use a hot water bag as a safe and effective cure.
Also take care to change your lifestyle.
- Carefully avoid heavy, oily and spicy food. Do not eat very large meals. Chewing a piece of ginger after a heavy meal can work wonders.
- Avoid carbonated drinks.
- Say no to oats, potatoes, beans, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, yeast-containing foods such as breads and cheese etc.
- If you get a crampy stomach never remain hungry. Carry a fruit or a biscuit along with you if at all you need to skip a lunch by standing in a queue or sitting in a long conference. Remember that you tummy does not like it being empty and you got to have a bite every 2-3 hours.
- Limit large meals to small simple ones. Also remember to eat slowly chewing it well.
- Get a regular work out. A stroll or a good walk daily can change your life for the better.
If you have persistent flatulence, you can
Your next step? To take what you’ve just learned and act smartly.