In Ayurveda, agni is considered as the factor which is responsible for digestion and body metabolism. Any malfunctioning of agni leads to manifestation of various diseases.
Following are the few pathological conditions of agni mentioned in Ayurveda:
- Mandagni – Very weak digestion and metabolism.
- Teekshna agni – Very strong digestion and metabolism.
- Visham agni – irregular digestive power and metabolism.
Here are few tips and remedies to re-kindle Agni:
- Traditionally, herbs which can increase agni are called deepanas and include Chitrak (Plumbago zeylanica), Clove, Asafoetida and Ayurvedic formulations like Trikatu churna which contains two types of pepper and ginger, Hingvastaka churna, etc. These herbs are particularly effective when agni is low as in diseases of Kapha nature.
- Fennel, coriander and cumin are some of the other herbs that have a stabilising effect on agni through samana vayu. They improve digestion without causing any burning symptoms or gastritis (pacifying pitta dosha).
- The juice extracted from the herb aloe vera is the answer to most of the digestive problems. The recommended dosage is 10 to 20 ml twice a day.
- A piece of ginger crushed and mixed with lime juice and honey or just grated ginger with pinch of salt can be taken twice daily, before meals.
Even simple daily routines like oil massage, hot water bath, physical exercise, consumption of freshly cooked food when it is still warm at regular timing and drinking lukewarm water improves your digestion as well body metabolism. It is very important to protect your agni to maintain good health.
To get more information and to buy ayurvedic products for improving your agni and metabolism, please click on the links below:
Ayurvedic Products for Digestive Health