Sciatica causes you a very unsettling pain.
It radiates from your lower back down through the leg and can strike suddenly or gradually. The pain may prevent you from getting up from bed in the morning, cause you an ugly limb during an evening walk or even prevent you from driving to the office. The worst truth of the condition is that it may never go away for good.
Well, but it is not as bad as you think it is! I have some safe and long lasting solutions for your Sciatica!
Sciatica is debilitating when it runs for weeks. The pain can take these forms:
a. A dull cramp in the leg
b. A tingling, electrical or sharp pain
Your pain may worsen even if you sneeze, take a jumpy ride or lift weights. It may worsen even without doing any of your usual triggers as well. Sciatica pain is commonly seen in heavy, bulky people and pregnant and post partum women. Don’t be surprised if you hear someone say that he has been suffering from sciatica pain from childhood. It is interesting to note that someone who has Sciatica may even jump, run or dance without triggering a flare up!
I understand that managing a flare up is challenging for you. And that’s the main reason why I have compiled this post to help you. I do not wish pain killers or pain modulators to be the rulers of our lives. It is natural for these questions to pop up in your mind if you have nerve pain.
Is Sciatica a serious condition?
Do you have home remedies for sciatica?
Is there treatment in Ayurveda?
Sciatica is not a serious condition, but it can certainly hamper your mobility and freedom. Taking care of it proactively helps to minimize discomfort and improve the quality of life.
Home Remedies for Sciatica
It is certainly recommended that you get your lower back pain and leg pain diagnosed by a medical doctor before trying out any remedies.
- Don’t do anything! In a flare up, rest or more emphatically bed rest is highly advised for pain relief. As too much of physical activity can increase the frequency of the attacks, rest usually helps.
- For instant relief from Sciatica, try heat therapy. A hot compress at bed time should help.
- Start with a de-stressing method for long term relief. Believe me stress worsens every bit of pain. Pranayama or breathing exercises are helpful.
- Doctors also recommend stretching exercises for quick relief. Here’s how to do an easy stretching exercise for sciatica as advised by a Medical Specialist:
- Sit down on the bed or floor with legs stretched straight in front of you. Bend slowly and try to touch your toes. Repeat this exercise several times.
- Hamstring stretches often work wonders for lower back. Lie down on your back and raise your right leg by supporting the thigh behind the knee with hands and slowly straighten the knee. You should feel a stretch at the back of the thigh. Slowly lift the leg until the sole faces the ceiling. Repeat with the other leg.
- Hip stretches are great for frequent sufferers of Sciatica. See this YouTube Video for how to do it.
- For those who cannot strain their abdomen, this stretching exercise works great. Lie down flat on your back. Raise one leg up and down. Repeat with the other leg.
- As a remedial measure and for general health, reduce weight. Losing weight and visceral fat helps to reduce the pressure over the lower back.
Is there treatment for Sciatica in Ayurveda?
Yes. Ayurveda can offer effective treatment for a neurological condition like Sciatica. Ayurvedic treatment aims at pacifying Vata dosha, which causes sciatica pain. Ayurvedic massage oils like Sahacharadi Tailam and Chinchadi Tailam are beneficial for Sciatica. These massage oils act as a natural pain killer and reduces inflammation. In severe cases with acute pain, therapies like Elakizhi, Pizhichil, Navarakizhi and Vasti are advised.
Do you want to try a Natural Remedy for Sciatica Pain Relief? See Lumbaton!