Constipation is the medical term used to irregular bowel movement usually characterized by incomplete passing of bowel and passage of small quantity of dry and hard bowel movements. Incomplete passing of bowel is only achieved by means of straining hard enough to allow passage. Lack of fiber in the diet and insufficient fluid intake are the culprits of the condition. In some cases it can also be due to an underlying medical condition. During constipation bouts, most rely on doctors in finding solutions; probably because they’re not aware that there are available herbal remedies for constipation.
While there are cases wherein constipation is caused by a presenting disease in the body, still the safest and most effective way to deal with constipation is to observe and follow the most natural approach. Increasing fluid intake and diet modification incorporating foods with high-fiber content are still the most recommendable option to induce proper bowel function. In addition to this practice, several herbal remedies for constipation can be helpful in facilitating ease in bowel movement.
Herbal Remedies for Constipation
Did you know that the humble cabbage can help relieve constipation? Yes, half a cup of cabbage juice can help treat constipation. Cabbage juice must be taken two times a day.
Almond oil mixed in milk helps control constipation and aids in stool voiding the next morning. You should drink this almond oil-milk drink few hours before sleeping.
One effective natural herbal remedy that can provide instant relief for constipation is the mixture of carrot and spinach juices.
Cascara Sagrada also known as California buckthorn has long been used by Native Americans due to its strong laxative effect. This is owed to the presence of the compound anthroquinones that is responsible for stimulating colon contraction to facilitate bowel movement urges. Aside from its strong laxative effect, Cascara Sagrada can also increase and strengthen muscle tone of the walls of the colon. It is available in capsule formulations, liquid extracts, and dried bark. Never attempt to consume fresh bark of Cascara Sagrada because it can lead to vomiting and bloody diarrhea.
Other good herbal remedies you can try:
- Licorice for Constipation: This herb helps the colon bring back its natural balance. Take this herb in tea form. Three to four cups everyday should be good until constipation is gone.
- Tamarind pulp Treatment: Tamarind pulp is the herb that’s widely used in North American country and elsewhere. It is a laxative that can help promote the languid movement of bowels. Just take one to two tablespoons of tamarind pulp in the evening. You can also add this herb as flavoring to food.
- Natural Constipation Treatment with Psyllium: Psyllium is a high soluble fiber called mucilage that absorbs water and provides food for good bacteria.
Psyllium helps the good bacteria multiply. Psyllium fiber helps the colon to ease constipation. Prepare it by stirring in 1 teaspoon of psyllium in a cup of water. Quickly drink 2 teaspoons of the solution before it thickens. Take it once a day, preferably in the mornings. You can add honey or lemon for added flavor.
- Treat Constipation with Ginger: Ginger helps prevent muscle spasms that trigger constipation.
Mix 1 tablespoon ginger with flax seeds and simmer it in 2 cups of water. Let it steep for 15 minutes. Take half-cup doses a day if needed.
- Milk Thistle Treatment: The seed extract of milk thistle helps produce bile secretion that flows in the intestines. This can serve as a mild laxative. Milk thistle is available over-the-counter in the form of pill, teas, and tincture. It should be taken according to the instructions.
While these herbal remedies for constipation are proven to bring about favorable treatment outcomes, nothing can beat the practice of proper diet and lifestyle modification to prevent frequent bout of constipation. This is especially true if constipation is most of the time caused by a sedentary lifestyle and insufficient fiber and fluid intake. Herbal remedies for constipation are preferable than using laxatives in chemical formulations. As always, natural is still the best option so as to prevent encountering negative side effects.
Benefits of TRIPHALA The medicinal benefits of these Three Fruits (Tri-phala) are manifold:
- Colon cleansing and detoxification
- Increase appetite and aid digestion
- Laxative effect to clear bowel movements
- Treat constipation
- Reduce piles, hemorrhoids and anal fissure
- Reduction of pimples, acne and dandruff
- Increased blood circulation
- Encourage weight loss
- Increased immunity
- Improve respiratory health and treat infections like UTI
- Treat Ulcerative Colitis and IBS
- Prevent anemia, heart disease, and reduce high cholesterol and high blood pressure
- Diabetes Management
2 Capsules with warm water at night before sleep.