Breathing is the first indicator of human life and asthma attacks this very act. Asthma is a disease of the lungs, the symptoms of which appear if the airways are very sensitive to allergens or if the person suffers from a respiratory tract infection. Breathing becomes difficult, caused by spasms of the air passages in the lungs.
Common Causes of Asthma
An asthma attack is characterised by tightness in chest, coughing, wheezing and feeling winded for breath. It may be triggered by sensitivity to the weather, certain foods and medication, perfumes, dust, air pollution and other irritants. Being aware of these triggers is the first step in living comfortably with asthma.
Unfortunately, there is no cure for asthma. The good news is that asthma, no matter what the intensity, can be managed.
Home Remedies for Asthma
Here are some simple remedies for you to try at home to manage your asthma symptoms:
- Honey: Inhaling honey by an asthma patient can help him breathe easier and deeper. Take a bowl filled with honey and hold it beneath your nose and inhale. This will bring relief when you feel breathless. Sipping a cup of hot water with a teaspoon of honey will remove the phlegm from the throat and ease the asthma.
- Figs: Figs are comforting for an asthma patient. Three or four dry figs cleaned and soaked overnight can drain off the phlegm.
- Gooseberry: Take gooseberry mixed with honey every morning.
- Bitter gourd roots: A teaspoon of the paste of bitter gourd root, mixed with honey or juice of tulsi leaves should be taken every night for a month to alleviate asthma symptoms.
- Ginger: Mix a teaspoon of freshly made ginger juice with a cup of decoction made of fenugreek and add a dollop of honey to sweeten the drink. This remedy is effective for asthma patients if taken once every morning and once in the evening.
- Garlic: Take ten garlic cloves, boiled in 30 ml of milk once each day. Add 2 minced or finely chopped garlic cloves to your ginger tea to combine the benefits of ginger and garlic. Drink it hot.
- Essential oils: Inhale steam of water mixed with lavender or eucalyptus essential oils during or immediately after an attack as it can combat the panic and ease breathing. Sniffing peppermint oil is also good for the opening up airways.
- Juice: Make a glass of anti-asthma juice by adding 2 parts carrot juice and 1 portion of spinach juice. Drink this thrice a day.
- Onions: Raw onions are loaded with anti-inflammatory properties that have the power to reduce the constriction of the airways during an asthma attack. Make a mixture of quarter cup of onion juice, Add a small pinch of black pepper to 1 tsp. of honey for quick relief from breathlessness and congestion.
- Chilli peppers. Hot foods such as red hot chilli peppers open air passages when they stimulate fluids in your mouth, throat, and lungs.
- Fish oil. Fish oil contains omega-3 fatty acids which help the lungs of asthma patients react better to irritants.
- Ajwain: Breathe in steam from boiling water mixed with ajwain (carom seed). Add one teaspoonful of honey to this concoction and drink it twice or thrice a day.
- Mustard Oil – Mustard oil is a commonly used remedy for when a person is having an asthma attack. Mix some mustard oil with a little kapur (camphor) and massage it onto the chest. You will experience relief as it becomes noticeable easier to breather.
Try combining these tips with breathing exercises, fresh air, dry weather, light but regular exercise and the right posture to finally breathe easy.