As per Ayurveda, good digestion is the chief indicator of salubrious health. A proper digestion leads to enhanced ojas. Ojas is the end biochemical outcome that results in improved quality of life. On the other hand, improper digestion leads to creation of ama or toxins in the body. If ama accumulates in the body for a long time it is difficult to flush them out. If you want to follow the ayurvedic way of life, then you really have to stress upon improving your digestion. Here are some tips to do the same:
1. Start your day with a glassful of warm water mixed with one tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice. You can also add half a tablespoon of honey to it. Lemon juice acts as a purifier and reduces ama in the alimentary tract.
2. Lassi or buttermilk is excellent for digestion. It improves the digestive flora without hindering the microcirculatory channels of the human body. Buttermilk is best taken during lunch, it should not be consumed after sunset.
3. Have a small slice of fresh ginger with very little freshly squeezed lemon juice. It helps in stirring up the digestive fires and enhances appetite before meal time. If you find it difficult to eat ginger directly, then squeeze out ¼ teaspoon of ginger juice and mix it with ½ teaspoon of lemon juice and have this mixture about half an hour before meal time.
4. Never skip breakfast. Have fresh fruits, boiled vegetables and cooked cereal in breakfast. This is light for the stomach and helps in keeping the digestion fires alive and active all through the day.
5. There are some spices that aid digestion, try to include them as ingredients while cooking your meal. Spices such as turmeric, coriander powder, dried ginger, cumin and ajwain aid digestion as well as help in flushing out toxins from the body. They also help in better absorption and of nutrients. There are some foods that are difficult to digest, like lentils, they must always be cooked along with above mentioned spices to prevent flatulence.
6. Most people are addicted to caffeinated drinks such as tea and coffee. Try to replace them with herbal teas. Start having a fragrant fennel tea after you have your lunch to improve digestion. If you find fennel good to taste, then chew some seeds after you have your meal.
7. Avoid having snacks between two meals. Your gastrointestinal system needs time to rest as well as recharge in between meals as well as after a meal. If you really feel the need to snack in between then have only fresh fruits as they are easy to digest. In Ayurveda fruits are not recommended after sunset.
8. Have soaked grains, seeds, nuts as well as lentils in warm water for about half an hour to an hour. This makes them simpler to digest.
9. You must eat heavy food items such as cheese etc. during lunch meal. The digestive fires are most active during the daytime, they start going into slumber by nightfall.
10. Ice or cold drinks douse the digestive fires, so you must avoid them at all times. You can sip warm water or water at room temperature throughout the day. It is believed that warm water is exceptionally good for the stomach, it aids digestion and purification.