Parsley herb is popularly used as a culinary spice, however, it has many health benefits that most of us are unaware of.
Basic Information about Parsley
The botanical name of parsley is Petroselinum Crispum. It is a green colored herb, which is often used as a spice. Some people also refer to it as the rock celery. Parsley has been grown for more than two thousand years and it has been used for its curative properties much before it was used as a spice in the kitchen.
Parsley is a popularly used spice in the American cuisine, Middle Eastern cuisine as well as the European cuisine. The leaves of this herb are aromatic in nature and are often used to flavor many dishes. Please read on to know more information and health benefits of parsley herb.
Health benefits of Parsley
Parsley has many curative values and is used to heal several health problems. Here we list some of the most common health benefits:
1. Parsley is rich in Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin A as well as Beta Carotene. Apart from the above listed vitamins this herb is also a good source of folic acid as well as iron.
2. Parsley is a power plant of chlorophyll, this helps curb the growth of bad bacteria as it has anti bacterial properties. Chlorophyll found in parsley is a good cure to stop and avoid bad breath (halitosis) for long time.
3. Parsley herb has some volatile oils such as myristicin, limonene, eugenol as well as alpha thujene which are antioxidants in nature. The above mentioned oils counterbalances the effects of some carcinogens (such as benzopyrenes found in cigarette fumes) and reduces the chances of getting cancer.
4. The health benefits of parsley also help in reducing blood pressure and reduces the risks related to high blood pressure such as hypertension.
5. Parsley herb is found to be diuretic in nature which promotes healthy workings of the kidney. The diuretic found in parsley helps in getting rid of sodium and other harmful elements from the human body.
6. The oil of parsley herb is a good remedy for hair loss as well as dryness of the skin. Daily application of this oil helps in improving the hair growth as well as makes the skin supple and smooth.
7. Parsley herb is used by the herbalists to cure some ear infections, ringing in the ear and partial deafness.
8. The health benefits of parsley can also be taken advantage by making it as a herbal tea. It is helpful as it stimulates digestion of protein as well as fat. The tea also promotes enteric absorption and storage in the liver. It is helpful in treating diarrhea as well.
9. Health benefits of Parsley herb also improves the hormonal balance in females and it also betters the estrogen secretion. These health benefits of parsley is helpful in treating hormonal problems like premenstrual syndrome, menopause or delayed menstruation cycle. This herb is also known to be helpful in easing cramps during menstrual cycle.
10. Parsley is loaded with Vitamin C as well as iron. These nutrients are health benefits of parsley that is helpful in curing anemia as well as fatigue. It is also known to repair blood cells as well as improve the blood vessel elasticity. The Vitamin C found in this herb supports the absorption of iron in the blood stream. Vitamin C also reduces the risk of arthritis and osteoarthritis.
Sometimes, we don’t feel like eating herbs or using them as alternative medicine. But knowing the health benefits of parsley can motivate us to include it in our healthy diet more often.