Fennel, scientifically known as Foeniculum Vulgare Miller, is commonly used across the globe in toothpastes, mouth fresheners, antacids as well as a culinary herb. The multiple health benefits of fennel helps in curing problems such as anemia, flatulence, colic, respiratory problems, menstrual disorders, indigestion, constipation, diarrhea as well as for general eye care.
Fennel has been used for ages to cure the following ailments:
1. Anemia: Amino acid is rich in iron and histidine which is useful in curing anemia. Iron is the main constituent of hemoglobin. Histidine found in fennel enhances the production on hemoglobin. It also helps in improving the quality of blood.
2. Improper digestion: In India it is almost customary to chew spoonful of fennel seeds after having a meal. Infact, most restaurants in India serve fennel seeds along with the bill after a meal. This is mainly done to improve digestion and keep the breath fresh after a meal. Few of the constituents of fennel essential oil stimulate the secretion of gastric as well as digestive juices. It also helps in reducing the burning sensation in stomach as well as the intestines. It also promotes better absorption of food nutrients. Fennel seeds are anti acidic in nature and are commonly used in preparation of antacid. Fennel seeds also stimulate the appetite.
3. Flatulence: The carminative nature of fennel seeds due to the aspartic acid found in it makes it a popular remedy for flatulence. The fennel extracts can be used to cure flatulence in people of any age group without any harmful effects. It is really helpful in curing flatulence and getting rid of gas from the stomach.
4. Constipation: Fennel seeds when taken in powdered form acts as an effective laxative. The roughage from fennel seeds helps in bowel movement. It also stimulates and helps in maintaining enhanced vermiculation motion of the intestines which helps in good excretion.
5. Diarrhea: Fennel seeds are extremely helpful in healing diarrhea if the cause of it is bacterial infection. The essential oil in fennel has anetol and cineole components which are anti bacterial in nature. Histidine, an amino acid found in fennel seeds, helps in proper digestion and enhances the digestive functions which helps in curing diarrhea caused because of indigestion.
6. Colic: Heavy molecules as well as polymeric found in fennel seeds are helpful in curing renal colic. The polymers known as phytoestrogens are an active component of fennel essential oils. This nature of fennel seeds in helpful in curing Renal Colic.
7. Respiratory problems: Fennel seeds are excessively helpful in treating respiratory problems like chest congestion, cough and bronchitis. This is because of the presence of anetol and cineole in fennel seeds which promotes expectoration.
8. Menstrual problems: Fennel is Emenagogue in nature. This virtue of fennel seeds helps in easing and regulating menstruation cycle by stabilizing hormonal activity in the female body.
9. Eye care: Fennel seeds are helpful in protecting the eyes from aging disorders, inflammation as well as macular degeneration. The presence of anti oxidants in fennel seeds is helpful in tissue rejuvenation, detoxification, and lessening the effects of aging. The juice of the leaves of fennel plant can be applied on the eyes externally to lessen eye fatigue and discomfort.
Fennel is also diuretic in nature which helps in eliminating the toxins from the body.
Yes fennel seeds are extremely beneficial for the health but do not take it in high dose. Limit the consumption and enjoy the benefits.