Imagine a day without sunrise. It would get too dark and gloomy around if sun fails to show up, isn’t it? Sun is a great source of power. Life on our planet sustains due to the energy emanating from the sun.
By performing sun salutations daily you can gain loads of energy. If you are full of vigour, you can perform many tasks in less amount of time without getting tired. Sun salutations prove immensely beneficial for your mind and body in more ways than one.
Beneficial Effects of Sun Salutations
Here are the top 20 reasons why you should do sun salutations:
- It improves the blood circulation in your body. With better blood circulation your organs function more efficiently and toxins get thrown out of your system.
- Your intake of oxygen shoots up. This enhances your lung capacity. By increasing the lung capacity a lot of energy gets generated in your body. As the amount of oxygen increases in the cells, toxins get pushed out naturally and your organ function gets a boost. So, if you feel low then all you have to do is perform a few sets of sun salutations and you will be raring to go!
- As the lung capacity increases with doing sun salutations, you breathe in more amounts of oxygen. It strengthens your lungs and reduces the risk of tuberculosis and other respiratory ailments.
- It stretches and tones the muscles of your hands, arms, legs, thighs, abdomen and back. It is a great warm up idea to do sun salutations before hitting the exercise floor. It gives a complete warm up to the entire body. As the muscles of your body get toned, your flexibility gets better and your physical fitness levels go up!
- By doing sun salutations, you are reducing and preventing joint stiffness. The various poses done in sun salutations make sure that most of your joints are exercised well. Right from your neck, shoulder, fingers, wrists, knees, ankles to your waist get a great workout.
- It helps you in weight management. By doing sun salutations daily, your metabolism gets a boost. This helps burn the fat in your body and you end up shedding extra pounds. If you take care of your diet and do sun salutations regularly, you will definitely get into a better shape in a healthy manner.
- It improves your body posture and body balance. When you do the various asanas in the sun salutations, your body gets stretched at various angles. This improves your body balance and prevents you from sitting or walking with a wrong posture like knock knees.
- It builds up your focus and concentration levels. While doing the sun salutation poses you breathe deeply. Loads of oxygen gets to your brain and rest of the body. It helps release dopamine hormone that makes you mentally alert. This makes your mind centered and peaceful by reducing the stress. It also makes you more confident, poised and instills loads of optimism.
- Your immunity levels go on an upswing by doing sun salutations regularly. Common ailments like cold and cough simply don’t bother you if your immune system is good. It even helps you beat cold weather. By doing sun salutations your body heat increases, which helps keep your body naturally warm in the coldest weather.
- If you are feeling depressed or getting anxious, roll out a yoga mat and get started with sun salutations. Your stress levels will come down and you will feel much calmer and relaxed than before. This happens because when your energy is low, more of stress hormone cortisol gets released into your blood stream. After doing sun salutations, your body cells get more oxygen. This increases your energy levels and releases happiness hormone like serotonin. Serotonin makes you feel good, elevates your mood and relieves depression. You get serotonin by sitting in the sun (or doing sun salutations), eating a carb-rich diet or by exercising regularly.
- If you are under too much work pressure, a few sets of sun salutations can work wonders for your stress levels. It helps release stress lowering hormones like ghrelin, epinephrine, and phenylethamine. These hormones lower your anxiety, make you relaxed and enforce a feel good factor.
- Performing sun salutations improves your digestion. This is because it helps improve the function of your digestive organs like stomach, liver, pancreas, and intestines. It helps in treating and preventing constipation.
- If you want to have shining and youthful skin, do sun salutations daily. It helps detoxify your skin and fills the body cells with loads of oxygen. This prevents skin ageing, appearance of wrinkles and acne. Your glowing skin will fetch you compliments along with good health.
- Your heart health gets a tremendous boost by doing sun salutations on a regular basis. It stimulates your pituitary gland which releases a hormone called oxytocin. Oxytocin hormone helps your heart cells to regenerate and repairs any heart damage due to stress. It makes your heart strong and keeps it healthy.
- You can keep your blood pressure under control by doing sun salutations regularly. The oxytocin hormone is anti inflammatory in nature. It helps keep your arteries stay relaxed during a stressful time. This prevents your blood pressure from shooting up. It also protects your heart from stress induced damage.
- Sun salutation helps in increasing fertility levels and lactation in nursing mothers. It also helps in relieving symptoms of menopause in women.
- Sun salutation enhances libido and fertility levels in both men and women. It is a natural treatment for sexual debility.
- Sun salutation is extremely beneficial for your kidneys' wellness. It includes many asanas that help your kidneys in flushing out the bodily toxins. As a result of this, there is less strain on your kidneys. Your kidney function gets enhanced.
- It helps prevent the risk of developing goitre. By doing sun salutations, the thyroid gland is stimulated and its function is improved, which prevents thyroid related disorders.
- Spiritually, sun salutation opens up your heart and makes you more courageous, forgiving, compassionate and increases your acceptance. It inundates you with inner and outer poise and valor to life a life to its full potential.
Learn to do sun salutation under an expert’s guidance. Do it under supervision to avoid strain or injury. Always cool your body down with deep breathing exercises after doing sun salutations. When are you planning to get started?