Pic Credit: nataliacoretraining.com
It is morning. Time to get up and have a cup of morning tea and get in to some action. There are so many things to be done in the morning, yet you might be missing out on the most beneficial activity. Yoga!
Owing to your hectic schedules, you might be facing common problems such as anxiety, stress, hangover, acidity, sleeplessness. In order to come out of it, medicines is what most of you turn to. The most effective way to counter these problems is by doing yoga – a natural and effective way that helps enhance good living without any side effects.
We take you through some of the popular yogasanas that will help you come out of the common set of health problems you face in your day to day life. Now without postponing it any further, start practicing yoga from today and see how you get the perfect harmony between mind and body.
1/ Balasana – Child Pose
- This yogasana helps express modesty and devotion on the part of child to his parents, teachers, or respected elders.
- Sit on your folded knees and heels on the ground with your forehead touching the ground.
- Get your torso closer to your thighs and breathe out.
- Put your hands on your torso sides with palms facing upwards.
- Stay in this pose for about 30 seconds and then relax.
Benefits – This yoga technique stretches the thighs, ankles and hips relieving you from neck and back pain.
2/ Padmasana – Calms your mind
- Sit straight with your legs spread out in front of you.
- Bend your right leg in such a way that you place the right foot on the left thigh.
- Now bend your left leg placing the foot on your right thigh. Let both your soles face upwards.
- Place one of your hands on top of the other and cup it with the palms facing upwards below your navel.
- Maintain your posture in such a way that the spine and neck are straight.
- Now close your eyes and meditate for some time.
Benefits – This form of yogasana has many variations that help relieve stress. One of the popular ones is ‘anulom vilom’. In this technique, you need to close your left nostril using your left thumb, release your breath via the right nostril. Now change the position to right and keep repeating it to get results.
3/ Chakrasana – Wheel Pose
- Bend backwards a full 360° and reach out to the floor. This is called a supine backbend or ‘dropping back’.
- It is a technique in which the hands and feet meet at the floor, and the body’s abdomen makes an arched impression in the sky.
Benefits – This pose strengthens the back muscles, knees, shoulders, arms and even kidneys.
4/ Vajrasana – Cures Headache and Migraine
- Sit down on your legs stretched outward in such a way that your buttocks are supporting the foot soles.
- Put your hands on your knees and sit straight, so that your spine and neck are aligned in a straight position.
Benefits – Sit in this pose after you have had your meals. It will provide you relief from headaches that happen due to constipation and migraine.
5/ Paschimottanasana – Relief from backache and cramps
- Sit straight in such a way that your legs are stretched in front of you in a flat way.
- Now bend forward to hold your toes next to each other.
- Avoid bending your knees and bring your forehead close to them.
- Stay in this position for 5 seconds and come back to the original position.
Benefits – This asana facilitates easy rotation inward and outward of the legs and strengthens the spine.
6/ Janusirsasana – Fights sleeping problems
- Sit straight stretching out both your legs.
- Now bend your right leg in such a way that the right sole touches the upper part of your left thigh.
- At this stage, raise both your hands atop your head while inhaling.
Benefits – While doing this form of yoga, try to touch the ground with your right elbow. This will help in clearing your mind and give you a sense of relaxation, which will aid in better sleep.
7/ Pavanmuktasana – Cures bloating
- Lie flat on your back.
- Bring your legs to your chest, by folding your knees.
- Now raise up your head a little so as to touch your knees.
- Stick to this position for about 5 minutes and release yourself.
8/ Halasana – Cures Digestion problems
- Lie flat on your back with your hands lying still on the ground.
- Now raise your legs upwards in such a way that they form a 90° angle to the ground.
- Position your legs in such a way that your feet are behind your head and your toes are touching the ground.
- After a gap of 5 seconds, bring your legs back to rest.
Benefits – This asana is of wonderful help in curing liver and spleen disorders, constipation and obesity.
9/ Sarvangasana – All limb support
- This type of yogasana is also known as ‘Shoulder Stand’.
- Raise both your legs up in the air forming a 90-deg angle to the ground.
- Now support your legs by putting your hands on your waistline.
- Hold the pose for five seconds.
- Now bring back your feet to the ground.
Benefits – In this asana, the body weight is supported on the head, neck, shoulders and upper arms. Blood circulation, respiratory system and disorders in ear, nose, throat are treated well through this yogasana.
10/ Matsyasana – Fish posture
- Lie on your back with your knees in flat position.
- Raise your body on your elbow support making an arched position.
- Keep your legs straight on the ground with toes pointed ahead.
- Hold on to the pose for about five seconds and then relax.
Benefits – Under this technique, the heart and throat muscles become stronger due to the stretching that happens.
Now that you know how to do top 10 yogasanas, practice them each day for 10-15 minutes before you get ready for office, school or any other activity area. This will keep your body and mind active and living stress-free and relaxed.