Better Stud (Biophytum sensitivum) which belongs to the family of Oxalydaceae is also known as Samanga, Mukkutti, Laakshana and Lakshmana.
It is a very small flowering plant and has only a few pinnate leaves. This plant also produces about 5-10 small yellow flowers. It is one amongst Acharya Charaka’s “sandhaniya gana” which includes plants which has properties to heal and reunite the broken tissues. It can be used as a single drug remedy for fever and diarrhoea.
- Diarrhoea: grind the leaves of this plant and make a paste and mix it in butter milk and drink this in case of diarrhoea.
- Leucorrhoea: make a paste of this herb(all parts can be used) and consumed.
- Wounds ulcers : seeds as well as leaves of this herb can be grinded and made into a paste and this should be applied on wounds and ulcers to facilitate easy and fast healing.
- Gonorrhoea: 3-6gms of the root paste should be consumed 2 times a day in case of gonorrhoea.
- URTI: paste made out of whole plant (all parts to be used)mixed with honey should be consumed to get relief from cough ,chest congestion and other upper respiratory tract infections.
- Post-partum: laakshana is given in post-partum condition(after delivery) to cleanse the uterus. Leaves of this herb is made into a paste and mixed with jaggery and is given to women after delivery to cleanse the uterus.
- Varicocele: the leaves of this herb(20) needs to be boiled in 300ml of water for 40mins. Strain and cool this potion and drink it two times daily for a month,this is very effective in treating varicocele.
- Menorrhagia : it is also used for treating heavy bleeding seen in women.