Do you see stains of blood every time you visit the loo? Are your groins too agonized?
Did you say yes?
If you suffer from Kidney Stones, this article will help you figure out what Ayurveda says about those tiny stones and a few tweaks you can do in your lifestyle from getting stoned.
Just like every other part of the body, our kidneys too have their own function at which they excel. They clean the impurities from our blood and the waste combined with extra water is removed from the body as urine. Everything is good so far and is quite normal till the flow of urine is obstructed. Whenever the flow of urine is stopped, you can see blood and feel immense pain.
Kidney stones can vary in their size and can lie anywhere between the size of a grain of sand to a small pebble to a golf ball. Sometimes tiny stones pass through the urine without drawing much attention. But it is those larger stones which brings the world to a halt. The larger the stone, the more pain it produces.
So, why do stones form in the first place?
Our urine is composed of many different chemicals. When the amount of liquid is less, there is no way that these chemicals are diluted. This leads to an acidic environment. So, the chemicals accumulate and form lumps of tiny crystals known as, you got it right, the stones.
Not only this, but there are other factors also which lead to the formation of stones like;
– Too much or too little exercise
– Sedentary lifestyle
– Eating food with too much salt and sugar
– Family history
– Consumption of excess proteins
– Certain diseases such as chronic diarrhoea, Chron’s disease and gastric bypass surgery
– High level of calcium or uric acid in the urine
These are some factors responsible for stone formation. But how can you find out if you already have a stone inside you? Read on!
The most pressing symptoms are extreme pain in the back or lower abdomen, blood in urine, nausea and vomiting, loss of taste, pus in the urine, irritation/difficulty during urination, and abnormal smell of urine.
So much about how and why they are formed; what does Ayurveda say about this condition?
Known as mootraashmari, stones are caused when the three dominant doshas are provoked, especially the vata dosha which dries up the urine resulting in formation of stones.
Ayurveda says that there are four types of stones, namely, Vataja, Kaphaja, Pittaja and Shukraja.
Acharya Susrutha attributes the cause of this condition to lack of proper purification procedures and discipline in following the rules of diet regimen. However, Acharya Charaka states that provocated vata in the bladder causes kapha, pitta, urine and the semen to dry up, producing stones.
Ayurveda also says that the symptoms differ with each Dosha.
– Vataja ashmari caused due to provocation of the vata dosha, produces severe pain with shivering and tremors. There is frequent and dribbling micturition. Modern science classifies these type of stones as calcium stones which are dark brown, granular, ovoid and having a hard surface.
– Pittaja ashmari caused due to provocation of pitta dosha, causes a hot feeling and burning sensation in the bladder. The stones look red or yellow. It can be compared to uric stones which are small, smooth and multiple.
– Kaphaja ashmari caused due to the provocation of kapha dosha produces pricking pain, heaviness and cold feeling in the bladder. The stones are big, smooth white or honey colored. It can be compared to mixed stones which are large and irregular.
– Sukraja ashmari: Also known as the semen calculi, it is caused when ejaculation is supressed causing the semen to remain in the urethra. This provokes the vata dosha which causes dryness of semen leading to stones. There is pain in the bladder and difficulty in urination along with swelling of testes.
Medications for Stones
– Varunadi kashayam
– Virataradi kashayam
– Apamarga kshara
– Chandra prabha gutika
– Sukumara lehyam
– Gokshuradi guggulu
– Punarnavashtaka kwatha
Home Remedies to Flush out Stones
– Consume juice extracted from banana stem. This is the best medicine as it crushes the stones and removes it from the tract.
– Crush a few basil leaves to make a paste. Extract juice out of this paste and add honey to it. Drink this mixture every day.
– Boil a couple of figs in water and drink this every morning for a month.
– Drink 2-3 cups of nettle tea every day.
– Boil kidney bean pods in water till they become soft and tender. Strain the liquid and drink it after it cools down. Remember to not keep the decoction for more than 24 hours as it loses its healing properties.
– Drink a glass of celery juice every day. You can also drink pomegranate juice every day.
– Consume watermelon regularly as it is loaded with water and potassium.
– Mix olive oil and lemon in cranberry juice and drink this mixture after straining.
– Boil dried parsley root in water and drink the mixture
– Make a decoction of bark of henna and take a daily dose of 20-30 ml, twice a day.
– Consume leaves and seeds of radish regularly.
– Eat food rich in fibre content e.g.bran flakes
– Drink lots of water
– Avoid grapes, cauliflower, green leafy vegetables, cucumber, mushroom, brinjal, peanut and tomato
– Avoid all non-veg food, soft drinks, chocolates, banana and milk products
– Limit your salt, sugar and calcium intake
– Take magnesium supplements
Kidney stones affect more men than women and the chances of developing stones are more if you are overweight. People mostly of the age group 20-40 get these stones. Also, once you get stones in your kidneys, there is a 50% chance of the stones forming again.
You have been given so many remedies and medications that if you take proper care of your health, you can beat those numbers.
Don’t give up. Stay healthy!