Turmeric is known as haridra in Ayurveda. It is a vital herb used in various preparations of Ayurvedic medicine. It is used in day to day cooking in India. Turmeric improves digestion and enhances the body’s metabolism.
Natural antioxidants in turmeric protect cells, nerves and hepatocytes. It acts as blood purifier, anti-inflammatory and anti- allergic, hence turmeric is very beneficial in skin diseases, enhances skin complexion and hastens healing of ulcers.
Following are a few medicinal uses of turmeric:
- In diarrhoea, take equal amount of bark of turmeric root and ginger root and grind to make powder. 2-5 gms of this powder can be given with warm water, to the patient 2-3 times a day based on condition.Taking 10 gms of turmeric with a cup of yogurt helps in treating diarrhoea and dysentery.
- Cough associated with running nose can be relieved by drinking hot water mixed with turmeric. You can also burn turmeric as the smoke emitting from burnt turmeric acts as a very effective expectorant. You can either burn turmeric root or you can boil water and add turmeric powder to it and inhale the steam. This is good for sinusitis and cough.
- Boil a pinch of turmeric powder and pepper in a glass of milk and drink it once daily. It helps to stimulate the body’s immune system and also acts as an effective remedy for asthma.
- Application of turmeric and aloe vera gel paste can ease pain, burning sensation and itching from burns, insect bites, chicken pox, eczema, etc.
- For arthritis 500mg of turmeric powder should be taken thrice daily.
- Diabetics may add half a tsp of turmeric powder to a glass of amla juice mixed with bitter gourd juice and consume it on an empty stomach.
- Women can regularly apply turmeric on their face and scrub it off when it is dry to minimise unwanted facial hair growth.
- People suffering with acne can apply turmeric mixed in water on affected area daily until acne ripens and bursts open.
- In urticaria and other allergic conditions, you can take haridra khanda with warm milk or warm water regularly.
Regularly using turmeric for cooking is the ideal way to get the maximum benefit out of it.
- Has natural anti inflammatory properties.
- Excellent anti oxidant properties
- Promotes brain health.
- Has anti cancerous properties.