Amoebiasis is an infection of your intestine caused due to protozoa, Entamoeba histolytica.
Causes of Amoebiasis
- Consumption of contaminated food and water by stools.
- It can spread from infected person to you due to lack of personal hygiene.
- Weak immune power.
Symptoms of Amoebiasis
- Loose stools associated with blood and mucus.
- Abdominal cramps.
- Gurgling sounds in the abdomen.
- In severe condition, it can spread to liver, lungs, etc causing abscess, ulcer/ perforation of intestine and peritonitis.
Management of Amoebiasis
- Drink pomegranate juice and eat bael fruit pulp with honey.
- Sometimes you may need to undergo drainage for the abscess.
- Eat light and easily digestible food like gruel, soup, softly cooked rice, black tea and well churned, freshly prepared buttermilk with curry leaves.
- Make sure to include cumin, turmeric, garlic and ginger in your cooking.
- Ayurvedic medicines like kutaja, bilva, musta, usheera, guduchi, Kutajarishta, mustarista, dadimashtaka churna, grahanyataka vati are beneficial.
- Boil few neem leaves, guava leaves, ginger powder drinking water. Take few sips every hour.
- In liver abscess, Triphala, Arogyavardhini vati, Krimighna vati, Aragvadha are useful.
You may need hospitalisation if you have a severe infection for administration of antibiotics or IV fluids.
Prevention of Amoebiasis
- Drink only boiled water or filtered water.
- Wash the vegetables and fruits well before consuming.
- Wash your hands well with soap/ sanitizer well after visiting rest room.
- Avoid eating street foods.