Cystitis is the inflammatory condition of your urinary bladder. It is very common in women who are sexually active.
Causes of Cystitis
- Bacterial infection.
- Incomplete evacuation of bladder due to stones, prostate enlargement, tumours, spinal cord injury.
- Uncontrolled diabetes.
- Weak immune power.
- Chemotherapy, radiation.
- Certain chemicals used for personal care and birth control aids like a diaphragm and spermicidal agents.
- During pregnancy and menopause.
- Bedridden patients using catheters.
Symptoms of Cystitis
- Urgency and frequent urination.
- Pain and pressure in your lower abdomen.
- Blood in the urine.
- Mild fever.
- Cloudy urine with an offensive smell.
Ayurvedic Management of Cystitis
- Have warm water baths in a bathtub. Make sure the water level is up to your umbilicus or give hot compress to your lower abdomen to relieve pain.
- Eat watermelon, grapes, cranberry and cucumber.
- Drink enough water boiled with coriander seeds.
- Extract fresh juice of ash gourd or winter melon and add little sugar candy. Drink twice a day about 100ml.
- Drink well-churned buttermilk added with coriander leaves and tender coconut.
- Avoid sour and spicy foods.
- Herbs like Gokshura, Punarnava, Dashamoola, Musta, Usheera, Guduchi, Shatavari, Sariva, Amalaki are very useful in cystitis. You can prepare decoction from any of these herbs and drink twice daily.
- Chandraprabha vati, Ushirasava, Sarivadyasava, Chandanasava, Brihatyadi kashayam, Punarnavasavam, etc are also beneficial.
Prevention of Cystitis
- Drink sufficient amount of water. Avoid drinking coffee, alcohol, and other carbonated drinks.
- Don’t hold the urge to urinate. Evacuate your bladder as soon as you get the urge.
- Try to urinate and wash your private area after sexual intercourse.
- Avoid using deodorant and other chemical-based personal care products in the genital region.