Leptospirosis is a bacterial infection occurring in humans and animals. Usually it is transmitted from the infected animals to the human beings handling them.
Causes of Leptospirosis
Leptospira interrogans is the causative bacteria, which infect animals like rats, cats, cattle, pigs, horses, etc. This infected animals contaminate soil, water and crops with their urine. In turn it invades human beings through minor cuts/injuries or ingestion of contaminated food or water.
Farmers, Veterinarians and people working in slaughterhouse are at high risk.
Symptoms of Leptospirosis
- High fever.
- Head and body ache.
- Nausea, vomiting.and diarrhoea.
- Irritation and redness of eyes.
- In advance stage there may be complications like jaundice, meningitis, severe cough with blood and multi-organ failure.
Treatment of Leptospirosis
- Oral or intravenous antibiotics.
- Fluid replenishment.
- In advanced stage ICU monitoring is needed.
Manage Fever and Improve Immunity with Ayurveda
To manage fever and improve your immunity, you can take:
Prevention of Leptospirosis
- Wash your hands and feet properly especially after handling animals.
- Control the rodents in your living area.
- Drink only clean and filtered water.
- Maintain personal hygiene well.
- Clear the stagnant water in your surrounding.
- Avoid swimming in natural reservoirs if you suspect water is contaminated with animals.
- Avoid walking bare foot. Wear proper fitting shoes or slippers to prevent the entry of organisms through abrasions.
- If you have pets, vaccinate and give proper medicines to them upon veterinary doctor guidance.