Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is a common health complaint. It is called Vatarakta in Ayurveda. Vatarakta is a difficult condition to treat as it is an auto-immune disorder in which the body attacks its own joints.
Vatarakta can be a debilitating condition which attacks all aspects of the joint from synovial fluid and cartilage to bones and ligaments. This condition is characterized by swelling, severe pain and stiffness of affected joints.
RA impacts the joints of the feet, hands, elbows, wrists, ankles, and knees. It also impacts the body systems like the respiratory system and the cardiovascular system which is termed as a systemic disease. Patients of RA can turn to rheumatoid arthritis cure Ayurveda.
Symptoms of RA
The main symptoms of RA are:
- Joint swelling
- Joint tenderness
- Joint pain
- Joint stiffness
- Joint warmth
- Weight loss
- Firm lumps under the skin of arms
- Joint deformity
- Symmetric impact on both sides of the body.
Common Causes of RA
RA is caused mostly by:
- Hormonal imbalance
- Shock or injury
- Deficiency of Vitamin D.
In RA, the immune system of the body turns against itself by considering its own tissues as invaders. Many are predisposed for this condition by heredity and the disease is triggered by exposure to pollution, smoking, and obesity. The body starts its attack targeting the joints. The body releases antibodies called the Rheumatoid factor in the blood which helps in diagnosing the condition. RA is common in women, above the age of 40.
If untreated, RA can lead to complications like:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Cardiovascular disease
- Lung disease
RA can be diagnosed by the following ways:
- Blood tests: Patients with RA have a high erythrocyte sedimentation rate or C-reactive protein that may indicate inflammation in the body.
- Imaging tests: X-ray can be used to judge the progression of RA in patients. Ultrasound and MRI can help detect the severity of the disease in the body.
As per Ayurveda, in the healthy human body, there is a balance of three elements (Doshas)- Kapha, Pitta, and Vata. RA is caused by the imbalance of Vata dosha. Intake of Vata aggravating foods leads to accumulation of toxins in the body which leads to RA.
Rheumatoid arthritis treatment in Ayurveda focuses on eliminating toxins from the body using medicinal herbs. The treatment also involves the following:
- Removal of toxins through Panchkarma treatment
- Using Rasayana-internal medicines which heal the joints and the body
- Correcting the metabolic balance
- Aushadhas or medication which controls pain and inflammation and enhances the quality of life.
- Paths or strict dietary regulations like fasting to avoid recurrence of RA. Diets much are rich in legumes, grains, castor oil, buttermilk, green& leafy vegetables. Avoid oily food and food that slows down metabolic ra
- Complete adoption of a healthy lifestyle by ViharaChikitsa to avoid triggers of RA.
- Minimal physical therapy
- Reduction of body weight (to lower stress on joints) and practice of good posture.
- Sleeping on firm mattresses and physical exercise that does not strain the joints.
RA is really a tough affliction to deal with, but using traditional Ayurvedic treatments under expert Ayurvedic doctors, you can lead a healthy life, managing this kind of illness