What Is Giloy?
‘Tinospora cordifolia’ sounds intimidating but its regional name is ‘Guduchi’. The other names of Guduchi include Amrutha, Giloy and Gurcha. According to Indian philosophy a few drops of heavenly nectar fell on earth resulting in Amrutha (the Indian name of nectar). Guduchi or Giloy is one of the very popular Ayurvedic herb that makes its appearance in many Ayurvedic medicines in India. It has Antiperiodic, Antipyretic, Diuretic and Anti-inflammatory properties making it a great immunity boost up against recurrent infections, fevers and cold related conditions, and urinary problems. Guduchi makes its presence in many Ayurvedic preparations including Kaishor guggul, Guduchi ghana, Guduchi churna and Amrutarishta.
A large, hairless, broadleaf climbing shrub, Guduchi has small yellow flowers. The succulent stem of the plant is used for therapeutic purposes. Its main components are tinosporine, tinosporide, tinosporaside, cordifolide, cordifol, heptacosanol, clerodane furano diterpene, diterpenoid furanolactone tinosporidine, columbin and b-sitosterol.
Here are some uses of Giloy alias Guduchi in Ayurvedic Medicines:
- Apt for high uric acid in blood or Gout conditions.
- Giloy prevents recurrent infections as in boils, throat, viral colds and more.
- Giloy is a great preventive measure to swine flu as well.
- Strengthening the lungs and preventing repeated bouts of cough is another use of Giloy for natural ayurvedic remedies.
- By balancing Pitta Dosha, it will help in the treatment of tonsillitis, pharyngitis and hoarseness of voice .
- As a natural blood purifier, Giloy prevents skin infections and flare ups. It be great natural ayurvedic remedies for skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema and even acne.
- Auto immune disorders can be warded off.
- Giloy Reduces free radical damage of the body.
- Giloy is one of the great natural ayurvedic remedies for rejuvenation as it delays aging.
- Promises longevity, enhances memory, improves health, and energy levels.
- Used in the treatment of renal calculi. It acts as a diuretic and helps to remove urinary stones naturally.
- Thwarts urinary problems. Giloy increases the resistance of inner layers of bladder and urethra to prevent recurrent urinary tract infections.
- Giloy helps with arthritic conditions and reduces joint pains.
- Digestive disorders like chronic diarrhea or constipation, hyperacidity, flatulence and pain in the stomach may find relief with Guduchi.
People with Diabetes need to practise caution as consumption of Giloy may cause fluctuated blood sugar levels. Now why delay, ask your doctor about taking Amrutha today!
-Aparna K V.