Are you a vegetarian? Been wondering what to eat to give your hair the desired protein nourishment? Stop your search with chia seeds. You should eat healthy for lustrous hair. Since hair is made of protein called Keratanin, ensuring that you get plenty of protein in your everyday diet is essential.
What is Chia?
Chia seeds are tiny seeds loaded with nutrients and available in two colors – black and white. They are full of vitamins, fiber, protein, and omega-3 fatty acids that benefit your body and brain. They are gaining popularity owing to their amazing health benefits.
Hair Nutrients in Chia Seeds
- Protein – Chia seeds are made up of 23% protein. It contains all the 9 essential amino acids that our body needs for replenishment thus making it a complete protein. It helps in restoring the strength of the hair.
- Copper & Zinc – Hair loss has been linked to zinc deficiency while hair thinning is associated with deficiency of copper. Zinc also plays an important role in the production of new hair cells. Chia seeds are a powerhouse of nutrients like copper and zinc. These seeds help to reduce thinning of hair and repair damaged hair.
- Omega 3 fatty acids– Omega-3 is known for its ability to fight problems of dry and brittle hair. It provides nourishment to the hair follicles making the hair strong and healthy. Chia is the highest known plant based source of OMEGA 3.
- Iron – Iron carries oxygen to the hair roots. It is therefore necessary for the overall wellness and growth of the hair. When you notice abnormal hair loss, increase the iron intake through the right foods. Chia seeds are a rich source of dietary iron. In fact it has 1.8 times (per 100 gms) more iron content than lentils. Consumption of chia seeds will restore the iron levels in the body thus promoting better circulation and hair growth.
- B complex Vitamins – These water soluble vitamins are very important for improving hair growth, shine and thickness. They are a necessary ingredient for hair growth as they help the body with metabolism and provide adequate nutrition to promote cell growth. Chia seeds are very rich in B Vitamins.
Chia Hair Mask for Hair
For healthy hair, you may want to try this hair mask. Soak 1 tsp of chia seeds in a quarter cup of almond milk or coconut milk. Leave for some time till it becomes gel-like. Then, apply it over your scalp. After 10 minutes wash off with a mild shampoo.
Adding Chia To Your Diet
A tablespoon of chia every day is recommended. You can eat chia in many ways as it does not change the taste of any dish. You can add it to your cereal, muesli, salads, or any baked item before you put it in the oven to bake. You can also eat the seeds just as they are. You may want to make hair health boosting green smoothies. For this, you can blend chia seeds with fruits and vegetables that have hair health promoting properties