Motion sickness is also known as travel sickness or kinetosis. It is a condition where traveling or any kind of unusual movements makes you feel uneasy. It may be due to traveling by car, bus, flight, boat, etc. Young children and pregnant ladies are more prone to motion sickness.
Causes of Motion Sickness
- Fear and anxiety.
- Interpretation of mixed signals from the middle ear and eyes in your brain.
- Lack of proper ventilation.
- Seated in a place where you cannot see out the window.
Symptoms of Motion Sickness
- Feeling uneasy or sick or drowsy.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Increased sweating and salivation.
- Dizziness and headache.
- Rapid breathing.
Home Remedies to Manage Motion Sickness-
- Boil 1 litre of drinking water with a tsp of dry ginger powder, ¼ tsp of jeera and 2 cloves. Store in your water bottle and take few sips once in awhile during your journey.
- You can have ½ tsp of fresh ginger juice mixed with a tsp of honey before you travel.
- Avoid drinking coffee and tea. Instead, you can drink ginger tea or lemon tea.
- Keep few cardamoms or eladi chewable tablets or peppermint handy. Chew when you feel nauseated.
- Eat few dry raisins or pomegranate fruit or amla.
- Consume light and easily digestible food. Avoid oily and spicy foods.
- Mix 1 tsp of amalaki with honey and sugar candy. Lick it before you travel.
- Drink a small amount of lemon juice added with sugar candy and cardamom.
- Keep few wedges of lemon in an airtight plastic bag and suck the lemon juice when you feel nausea.
- To relieve dizziness, you can smell sandalwood oil or internally, you can take Brahmi powder ½ tsp with water after food twice a day.
Prevention of Motion Sickness
- Avoid consumption of alcohol, heavy meals and smoking before travelling.
- Don’t drink too much of water or any other liquids.
- Select the proper seat. Preferably sit near the window.
- Avoid reading while traveling.
- Focus on a stationary distant object.
- Listen to soft music.
- Open the window and breathe fresh air.
- Try to sleep or do deep breathing exercises, focusing on the breath.
- During long journey take a break and walk in between.
- Chew a gum during flight takeoff to prevent blocking ears. Make sure to spit it out after few minutes. Prolonged chewing may lead to stomach bloating and worse travel sickness.
- You can undergo full body and head oil massage a day before your long journey.