Pic Credit: tunedbody.com
Baking a potato, preparing your steaming cup of coffee and popping out your pop corn in one minute has definitely made our lives so much easier. All thanks to the microwave, cooking now seems to need less efforts and reheating food has become a child’s play. Saving on a lot of time and the simplicity of usage are great beneficial add ons. However, did you know that there are some food items that shouldn’t be placed inside this appliance? Do you also know there is some adverse price you are paying for this convenience? Well, yes.
What is a microwave?
Microwave is our friend in the kitchen and is used for cooking or reheating food, speedily. Microwaves are a form of electromagnetic radiation and are on the low energy end of the energy spectrum, second to radio waves. The waves are generated by something called a magnetron – something found within every microwave oven. In fact they are radiation, like atoms.
Effects of over usage of Microwave
Microwaving food, in effect, potentially destroys and depletes the life energy, rendering the food completely dead and lifeless. In addition, the food’s nutritional value is lost and it becomes nearly useless in terms of providing any real health benefit. Low B.P. is first sign of excessive microwave usage. Other symptoms such as impaired cognition, nausea, weakened immune system, headaches and dizziness are all the side effects of the microwave sickness caused by its regular use. So, be very wise in how often you use it.
Foods that should not be microwaved
So while cooking is done in a fraction of time using a microwave, ensure you do not use it for the below foods-
- Bread: Most bachelor’s everyday breakfast and also majorly used in a child’s breakfast in urban families this piece of yeast must not be microwaved. By microwaving bread, enough moisture goes out of the bread and make it stale and hard, which you may not like and it will ruin the piece of bread, which you may not like to eat.
- Chillies: Even though the chillies can withstand heat of the microwave, an active ingredient namely capsicin, because of which chillies are spicy, becomes vaporized during microwaving process and when one opens the microwave, this may waft into your face which is very unpleasant.
- Breast Milk: Microwaving frozen human milk can cause uneven warming of the milk, which could create spots that are hot for the sensitive, tender infant mouths, while drinking the milk. Apart from that, the method of defrosting through microwaving may destroy some of the immune boosting proteins, which is contained in the breast milk, thus denying the benefit of immunity to the children.
- Frozen Meats: No doubt defrosting meat is must before cooking, but the idea is not good through microwaving, because, due to uneven distribution of the heat, meat will defrost unevenly. This will also results in some portions of the meat cook, while other part will remain defrost, which allow bacteria to grow. Instead, plan properly and defrost meat in your fridge overnight for use in your next day meal.
- Fruits: Microwaving fruit is not a good idea, because the intense heat generated in microwave may cause juicy fruit to burn and also implode. So, some of the essential qualities of the fruit will be lost.
- Hard Boiled Eggs: It is a nice idea to looking ways and means for reducing time spent in cooking and one of the method is through microwave. Unfortunately, microwave is not solution to all our cooking needs. Some foods need to be cooked longer and slower manner. For example, by microwaving hard boiled egg, one may end up with a large mess or burning fingers. Through rapid cooking process of microwave, which emanates steam in the egg, which has no place to escape, may explode and an exploded egg is difficult to clean up and it is advised to avoid altogether, the idea of microwaving hard boiled eggs.
Additionally, disposable plastic bags, one time use yogurt containers, plastic storage containers, food wrapped in aluminium foil, take away boxes must not be placed inside the microwave as they are not made of materials that can withstand so much heat.
One extra reminder – Never switch on an empty microwave as it may lead to an explosion.
So while you enjoy the extra time in hand spared from cooking, make sure you don’t make your everyday cooking revolve around this invention. While it has its positives and is helping you out in your daily life, it also has certain disadvantages that become apparent if regularly used.