Have a running nose? Feeling stuffy with a sore throat?
Instead of directly reaching out for that medicine cabinet, try using natural remedies to help feel better.
When you catch a cold the virus attaches itself to the mucous membranes of the nose and throat. It lives there and also replicates to form more of the virus cells. It needs to be controlled right from the beginning before it leads to other infections like strep throat, bronchitis and pneumonia.
Some home tested remedies below-
1. Eucalyptus Oil – oil prepared from the bark of the eucalyptus tree helps increase the number of phagocytes, the cells that destroy bacterial cells. It is most effective in treating cold as it helps expel phlegm and decongests the airways. So when you are having a running nose, add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to a vessel of boiling hot water. While covering your head, carefully place your face over the vessel and inhale the vapours. Do this at least three times a day. This is an instant home remedy for instant relief.
2. Basil (Tulsi) – chew a few Tulsi leaves will give you relief from cold. Presence of certain biologically active compounds in the leaves help the body’s immune system to mediate responses against pathogens and speed up recovery.Herbal tea with tulsi, dried ginger, cinnamon, cardamom and black pepper is an effective cure for chronic cold. Its antibacterial properties also prevents further development of bacterial respiratory infections.
3. Garlic – one of the popular home remedies for cold, allicin present in garlic cold fighting and anti bacterial as well as anti viral properties. Swallowing diced garlic cloves followed by a glass of orange juice just before going to bed allows the remedy to work very wel. Alternatively, try this. To one crushed garlic clove, add 2 tsps of lemon juice, one tsp of honey and a little black pepper, boil and consume this drink 3-4 times a day.
4. Ginger Tea – take thinly sliced fresh ginger and lemon grass to a pan of water and boil it. Then add 3 tsps honey and stir. Leave it for 5 minutes. Strain and drink the tea. You can choose to add a dash of cardamom for flavor. The lemon and the ginger help clear those sinuses while honey can soothe that scratchy throat.
5. Red Onion/ Onions – they carry inflammatory and antioxidant chemicals to soothe cold. Taken raw it works as a good expectorant. You can also slice it horizontally and dip it in honey, keep aside for a while and chew. It suppresses the irritating feeling you have during a sore throat.
6. Hot Soup – If the sniffle is getting too much and making you irritable a bowl of soup can do the trick. Warm tomato soup or chicken soup help break the congestion associated with cold and flu. Throw in garlic, ginger chops and black pepper. The spices in the soup soothe your senses making it a good medicine for incessant sneezes and running nose.
Home remedies will help you save your resistance to antibiotics and other Allopathic medications. Alleviate those initial symptoms with these home remedies and get back to your kicking self once again.
Consult a doctor if the condition worsens or do not improve within two days of rest and home treatment.