Alopecia is the medical term used to denote hairloss. There are various types of alopecia:
- Alopecia areata – round patchy hair loss.
- Alopecia totalis – Complete loss of hair on the head.
- Alopecia universalis – Loss of hair all over the body including eyelashes and eyebrows.
Causes of Alopecia
- Hormonal imbalance like impaired thyroid function.
- Dandruff and other scalp infections or skin diseases like ringworm infection, lichen planus, etc.
- Certain medications, chemotherapy.
- Malnutrition/Nutritional deficiency.
- Using contaminated/polluted water for hair wash.
- Repeated hair styling treatments like straightening, curling, perming, colouring, etc.
- Traction alopecia is a condition where tight/pulling hair style is the reason for hair fall.
According to Ayurveda, the vitiated vata and pitta affects the hair roots and cause hair loss, then the vitiated kapha and rakta obstructs the hair roots, so there is no chance of hair regrowth. If hair roots are partially occluded, by proper treatment there is chance for regrowth of hair
Ayurveda suggests usage of the following formulations to manage Alopecia areata
- Aragwadharishtam and khadirarishta.
- Manibhadra Ghulam to cleanse the body and remove toxins.
- Tila rasayanam, Narasimha lehyam, Amalaki rasayana and Triphala rasayana.
- Application of hasti dantha mashi with juice of Bhringaraja ( Eclipta alba) over the affected area.
- External application of malatyadi keram/ chembaratyadi keram/ Nilibhringadi taila/ Bhringaraja taila/ Bhringamalakadi taila.
- Application of karaveera patra swarasa/ Kantakari swaras (juice extracted from leaves).
Ayurvedic procedures like Siravedha, Nasya, Lepa, Dhara and Abhyanga are also effective.
If there is nutritional deficiency, take proper supplements like Xerfer, Mandoora vatakam, dhatri loha, pravala/ mukta/ kukkutanda twak bhasma, etc., under a physician’s guidance.
Daily Hair Care
- Wash your hair weekly thrice with mild herbal shampoo and lukewarm water. Avoid hot water.
- Do circular massage on your scalp with medicated hair oil, half an hour before hair wash. Avoid vigorous rubbing.
- Wash your comb, pillow cover, towel regularly. Avoid sharing these things with others.
- Use blunt and wide toothed comb.
- Brush your hair and scalp gently daily once. Avoid vigorous brushing.
- You can use natural shampoos like shikakai, reetha, aloe vera, methi, etc.
- Avoid repeated hair styling treatments and tight hair styles.
Dietary and Lifestyle Changes
- Avoid curds, pickles, excessive intake of salt, coffee, tea, seafood and deep fried oily foods.
- Include more green leafy vegetables, curry leaves, raisins, dates and figs in your diet.
- According to your caloric requirement include milk and egg appropriately.
- Avoid day sleep and have enough sleep of 7- 8 hours at night.
- Yoga poses like sarvangasana (shoulder stand), forward bending exercises are beneficial. It enhances blood circulation and also manages stress.
You can consult our Ayurvedic physician for further guidance through email: [email protected]
To get more information and to buy ayurvedic products for hair loss, please click the links below: