Emotional stress reduces immunity and results in frequent cold attacks. Yogasansanas, pranayama, meditation, etc., can help to ward off the stress.
Avoid exposure to cold breeze, dust, smoke, hot sunlight. Taking a warm shower is ideal. Avoid taking head bath at night.
Avoid day sleep.
Regular steam inhalation will help to remove the excess phlegm and relieve the congestion.
Avoid dairy products, oily food, bakery products, ice creams, cold food and drinks, sweet fruit juices until the symptoms subside. Drink water frequently. Following this on a regular basis can keep cold and cough at bay.
The following home remedies would be beneficial to prevent frequent attacks of cold.
- 5 gm ginger juice mixed with one amla's (Indian gooseberry) juice and one teaspoon honey with a little water. It boosts body immunity and acts as a decongestant.
- Water with hand full of rock salt should be used to take vapours in severe cough or mild cold and heaviness in the head.
- Mix one teaspoon of both turmeric and black pepper powder into a glass of warm milk. Mixing properly and drink it when it becomes lukewarm. You should use this method twice in a day to get complete relief from cold.
- Garlic soup is ideal to reduce the severity of cold. It should be taken once daily.
- A pinch of powdered cloves should be mixed with honey and taken twice daily.
- Juice extracted from Krishna tulsi leaves should be mixed with equal quantity of honey and this should be taken thrice daily, in small doses.
Traditional Ayurvedic formulations beneficial in the management of cold:
- Taleesapathradi vatakam
- Vyoshadi vatakam
- Lakshmi vilas ras
- Chawanaprasha rasayana
- Agastya rasayana
Haridrakhandam ½ tsp with milk at bed time.
Karpooradi tailam should be massaged over the chest,to decongest it. It helps to loosen the phlegm.