Here are some simple home remedies for managing your cough:
– Grapes tone up the lungs and act as an expectorant, a cup of grape juice mixed with a tsp of honey is advised for cough relief.
– 1 tsp of raw onion juice mixed with tsp honey,kept for a few hours,should be taken twice daily.
– A medium sized onion crushed,juice of 1 lemon added to it,and then 1 cup boiling water poured on it, along with 1 tsp of honey.This remedy should be taken twice daily.
– Belleric myrobalan powder 2grams,mixed with 1/4 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of long pepper and 2 tsp of honey, should be taken twice daily.
– Aniseed is another effective remedy for hard dry cough as it breaks up the mucus. A tea made from this spice should be taken regularly.
– Take 1 tbsp of lemon juice and add half tsp of black pepper powder and salt each.Mix well and heat the mixture till it becomes lukewarm. Consume this mixture once daily.
– In a glass of hot water,add half tsp of black pepper powder and cinnamon powder each. Add 1 tsp of salt,allow it to rest till it turns lukewarm. Gargle with this decoction for beneficial results.
– Ginger in combination with tulsi is also an effective remedy for cough. Crush about 10 leaves of tulsi, mix with juice extracted from a small ginger piece. Add in a equal quantity of honey and mix. Take 1 tsp of this twice daily for beneficial results.
– Lightly crush about 4 cloves of peeled garlic and saute in a tsp of ghee. Consume this daily to get relief from cough.
– Boil a few corns of peeper in water for 20 minutes. Mix a little cumin and jaggery and drink.A quarter part of an onion mixed with jaggery can be chewed daily,to expel the sputum.
If you are looking for Ayurvedic medicines for the treatment of cough/upper respiratory tract infection, I would recommend the following formulations:
1. Sitopaladi churna 3-6 grams thrice daily with honey.
2. G-Kof tablet, 1-2 tablet twice daily after food.
3. Jeevanamrita rasayanam, for prevention of upper respiratory tract infection and to build the immune system. (not indicated for diabetic patients)
8 Tips for Night Time Cough Relief
To get more information on, and to buy, some of the ayurvedic products mentioned in this article, please click on the links below: