Lumbar spondylosis is generally termed as low back pain among common population. But lumbar spondylosis might not be the only reason for low back pain.
Lumbar spondylosis is a progressive and irreversible degenerative disorder of the lumbar vertebrae, where there will be stiffening and fixation of spine. People over the age of 40 are at the highest risk of developing symptoms of lumbar spondylosis.
Usual location will be last vertebra of the lumbar spine (L5) and the first vertebra of the sacral spine (S1).The lumbar region is mostly affected because this region is the most exposed to mechanical stress due to the loading of the spinal segments while standing and the spinal motion.
Causes of Lumbar Spondylosis:
Aging, overuse, accidents, hereditary and abnormal spinal movements.
Signs and Symptoms of Lumbar Spondylosis:
- Pain and stiff back in the morning
- Sitting for a long time increases pain
- Pain gets worse with repeated movements, such as lifting and bending
- Variation in sensation, may be numbness and tingling sensation
- Radiating pain from lower back to legs
- Loss of balance and
- Loss of bladder or bowel control, occurs only in very advanced stage.
Ayurvedic Treatment and Natural Remedies:
Lumbaton is a safe and effective medicine especially for spondylosis,sciatica related problems and herniated disc. It arrests the degenerative changes in the disc. It contains herbs which has anti inflammatory, pain relieving and vata dosha reducing properties.
Along with Lumbaton the following medicines are also effective-
- Sahacharadi kashayam 2 tablets twice a day before food.
- Boil 4-5 cloves of garlic in half glass of milk and half glass of water, till only milk quantity remains. This should be taken daily at bedtime. While you are taking this, it is better to avoid spicy, green chillies and other hot foods.
- Suayu joint aid oil for local massage.
External treatment procedures like kati vasti, abhyanga, patra pinda sweda, etc., would be highly beneficial in this condition. These therapies are concentrated towards relieving the inflammatory changes, releasing the spasms and nerve compressions in the affected area, strengthening the supportive tissues holding the spine, nourishing the joints through improving the blood circulation.
Generally, the treatment period is 4 – 5 weeks, according to the severity of the disease. Majority of the patients find their symptoms are relieved after the procedure. It is always advisable to consult an Ayurvedic physician to decide the line of management after a thorough physical examination.
In Lumbar spondylosis the main dosha involved is Vata. Thus vata pacifying diet and lifestyle has to be adopted. Cold food and drinks, spicy, deep fried food, dry food should be avoided. Night outs, day sleep, suppression of natural urges should also be avoided.