Thyroid is a butterfly shaped gland located in your neck, which is responsible for secretion of Thyroid hormones. Thyroid hormones includes T3 and T4. Its secretion is stimulated by TSH, which is produced by pituitary gland. These hormones are necessary for normal growth, development, fertility and various body metabolism.
Abnormality of thyroid function includes
- Hypothyroidism- It is a condition where your body produces less thyroid hormone. You will be having decreased levels of T3, T4 and increased TSH levels in your blood
- Hyperthyroidism- It is a condition where your body produces more thyroid hormone
- Goitre- is enlargement of thyroid gland, associated with either hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism
Home Remedies for Hypothyroidism
If you are suffering with hypothyroidism, you can try the following home remedies:
- A decoction prepared of drumstick leaves should be taken daily. Soup prepared from drumstick leaves can also be taken .It is a rich source of iodine.
- Mix amla powder with honey and have it daily morning, before breakfast.(Amla is good for the hair too)
- A handful of white sesame seeds can be great source of calcium and magnesium and they are effective hair loss checkers.
- Cow’s urine is an excellent remedy. Dilute fresh cow’s urine with a small quantity of water and drink it early every morning.
- Walnut is full of magnesium and iodine content and facilitates the proper function of the thyroid gland. Include a few walnuts in your daily diet.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Hypothyroidism
You may also take Ayurvedic formulations like:
Avoid deep fried oily foods, sweets, dairy products, cabbage, cauliflower, curds, non vegetarian food and day sleep.
Yoga poses like Sarvangasana (shoulder stand), Matsyasana, Halasana, Suryanamaskar, pranayam are all beneficial in balancing body’s metabolism.
Here are some links to some articles on hypothyroidism:
Ayurvedic Treatment for Hyperthyroidism
In case of hyperthyroidism, you can take the following medicines:
Home Remedies for Goitre
If you are suffering with Goitre include the following in your diet:
- Sea foods
- Mushrooms and
- Iodised salt
Early intervention is essential in case of thyroid disorders. Sometimes you may need to undergo surgery to correct hyperthyroidism and goitre.
To get more information and to buy ayurvedic products for thyroid ailments, please click on the links below: