Is that Itch giving you a hard time?
Ayurvedic Treatment & Home Remedies for Psoriasis
Don’t lose heart if that itch is driving you crazy. This staining, sticky ailment is one of many curable skin diseases.
It is called “Ekakushta” in Ayurveda and is considered one of the 11 types of Kshudra Kushta or “minor skin diseases”. The good news is that it features in the list of curable skin ailments.
Psoriasis is caused when the Vata and Kapha are disturbed.
This could happen because of the following reasons:
- Irregular food habits
- Consumption of incompatible food (e.g. dairy products with fish)
- Excessive consumption of yoghurt, black gram, seafood, sour or salty food which activate the process leading to the disease
- Alcohol and tobacco abuse
So how do you decide you have Psoriasis?
If you have any or all of the following symptoms, you need to be treated for this itchy skin condition:
- Scaly patches with a silver tinge
- Itching or burning sensation
- Blisters or bleeding patches
- Emotional distress
Ayurveda focuses on very specific lines of treatment for Psoriasis:
1. Cleansing and detoxification of blood
2. Balancing the Tridoshas
3. Restoring the metabolism (agni) to prevent further accumulation of toxin
4. Internal medication to cleanse blood and strengthen / tone tissues to promote healing of skin
5. For deep-rooted, not easily manageable conditions, Panchakarma is advised to detoxify / cleanse the body and balance the doshas. Vamana (emetic therapy) is preferred specifically for Psoriasis. Kashaya Dhara (pouring herbal decoctions over body), Takra Dhara (pouring medicated buttermilk on the head), Shiro Dhara ( stream of medicated liquids/oils poured on the head) are all recommended treatments.
6. External therapies such as Lepana (anointments) and medicated herbal baths according to the severity of the disease.
If you’re determined to rid yourself of this ailment there are certain vital “dos and don’ts” that you need to strictly observe:
1. Don’t use strong soaps and detergents. Bathe with herbal soaps or green gram powder and use mild herbal shampoos for your hair.
2. Avoid perfumes and cosmetics over the affected areas.
3. Say no to deep fried, spicy food, cold food and drinks.
4. It is better to stay away from non vegetarian foods, eggs, curd, brinjal, radish , sesame seeds and urad dal, all of which may aggravate the problem.
5. Avoid food which is not easily digestible. Bitter veggies, spices or herbs like methi seeds, methi leaves, squashes , gourds and melons are very good for digestion.
6. Both drinking and applying buttermilk can help. Wash the affected areas with buttermilk for relief. A cloth soaked in buttermilk can also be tied around the affected area.
Psoriasis Ayurvedic Treatment
Ayurveda offers a variety of medication and home cures for Psoriasis. Here are some easy ways to treat Psoriasis with commonly found kitchen ingredients.
Home Remedies for Psoriasis:
1. Drink a glass of bitter gourd juice with a 1 tsp of lemon juice every day on an empty stomach. This healing potion promises to cleanse the blood and clear the psoriatic patches.
2. Soak 2 to 3 tsp of fenugreek seeds in water and leave overnight. Grind in the morning to make a smooth paste and leave to thicken for 30 minutes. Dilute with water and apply to scalp, hair and affected areas to reduce the itching.
3. Healing can be accelerated by applying cod liver oil, lecithin, linseed oil, vitamin E lotion and zinc.
4. Burning can be reduced by applying aloe vera pulp to the patches.
Nirogam’s Psoriasis ayurvedic treatment Kit
Nirogam recommends an Ayurvedic Super Combo for Psoriasis which goes to the root of the problem to eliminate this skin disorder.
It includes Mahatiktakam Kashayam Tablets, Kaisora Guggulu and Raz oil which will do the following:
- Reduce itching, dryness and scaling of skin
- Effectively treat thickened itchy patches
- Specifically eliminate psoriasis of the scalp, eczema and seborrheic dermatitis
To get the best results, stick to the following dosage of Ayurvedic medicine for Psoriasis:
Mahatiktakam Kashayam Tablets – 2 tablets an hour before breakfast and dinner with warm water.
Kaisora Guggulu – 2 tablets after breakfast and dinner with warm water
Raz oil – for external application
In the end, keep calm, it’s just psoriasis! All you need to do is to make the effort to cure it. Stay healthy.
At Nirogam we make sure to give our readers professionally verified information that they can trust with their eyes closed. All our content is backed by studies and academic research from medical institutions & associations. Our editorial policy will give you more information about how we verify our content’s authenticity & accuracy.