Gastroenteritis is an inflammatory condition of your alimentary canal, specifically stomach and intestine. It is commonly known as Stomach flu.
Causes of Stomach Flu
- Bacteria (E.coli, Salmonella) and viruses(rotavirus, norovirus) are the cause of gastroenteritis. These organisms enter you body through contaminated food and water, uncooked meat or seafoods.
- Person with weak immunity and following poor hygiene like sharing utensils of infected person, improper hand washing after visiting toilet are commonly affected.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Abdominal cramps.
- Loose watery stools.
- Mild rise in your body temperature.
- Feeling dizzy.
- Muscular pains.
- Drink buttermilk (chaas) to replenish your body fluid.
- Take bedrest.
- Avoid solid/heavy / complex foods.
- Eat light and easily digestible foods like gruel/ soup/ softly cooked rice. You can add pepper and cumin to improve your digestion.
- Don’t take anti diarrhoeal or anti emetic medicines immediately. Few bouts will help to clear the microorganisms from your digestive system.
- Avoid dairy and caffeine products.
- Take fluids in small and frequent sips. Avoid taking large quantity at a time. It may trigger vomiting or diarrhoea again.
- You can boil musta, coriander seeds and dry ginger powder in drinking water and sip it frequently.
- You can chew jeera and dry ginger powder with pinch of salt to prevent nausea and improve your digestion.
- Drink pomegranate juice with elachi and sugar candy to reduce vomiting.
The following Ayurvedic medicines are beneficial in the treatment of stomach flu.
- Vilwadi gulika
- Dadimashtaka churna
- Ushiradi kashayam
- Avoid sharing others’ utensils, towels, etc.
- Wash your hands well before having food.
- Avoid roadside foods.
- Drink boiled and cooled water only.
- Wash vegetables and fruits well in running water before consumption.
- Cook meat and other sea foods well.
- Cures allergies
- Used in the treatments of insect bites and poisoning
- Treats gastro enteritis, dyspepsia and recurrent fever
- Effective in treating herpes zoster and warts
Internal use : 1 – 2 tablets once or twice a day, before food or as directed by Ayurvedic doctor.
warm water, Honey or any other medicated decoction as prescribed by the doctor.
At Nirogam we make sure to give our readers professionally verified information that they can trust with their eyes closed. All our content is backed by studies and academic research from medical institutions & associations. Our editorial policy will give you more information about how we verify our content’s authenticity & accuracy.