Boils are common and not often a cause for worry. A boil is the result of an infection in the area primarily seen in the form of a reddish spot in groins, thighs, buttocks, arm pits and so on. Large boils are skin abscesses, which can be painful and annoying. They also leave a longstanding blemish or an ugly scar.
There are many types of boils. Is your boil due to any of these conditions?
- A boil can be caused by ingrown hair.
- Infected sweat glands can take the form of a boil.
- Any foreign material in the skin.
- A break in the skin due to scratches, scrapes or cuts getting infected.
- A low immunity.
- Increased body heat especially during summer.
- Thyroid imbalances.
- Menstruation in women.
Do not try to squeeze or pop open to drain a boil by yourself. Here are some methods, which you could try to treat a boil.
- Use increased quantity of turmeric in your food and drink a lot of water. Remember that turmeric is anti inflammatory and a great blood purifier.
- Gently wash the area a few times in a day. Use an antibacterial soap. And keep the area covered with gauze to avoid accidental puncturing.
- Apply heat. Take a warm wash cloth and apply on the area for a few minutes. Repeating this would increase the blood circulation to the area bringing up antibodies to fight off the infection. This will soften the area. Large boils may be slow and more painful.
- Use saline water soaks.
- Apply tea tree oil to thwart infections. After bath, apply a drop of it on the boil. Small boils may dry off by the healing powers of tea tree oil.
- Castor oil can remove the toxins in the boil. Apply some castor oil in the area and tie a cloth over it.
If it doesn’t seem to get any better after home treatment, you may need medical supervision to get antibiotics. Frequent boils, those accompanied by fever and boils that shows no sign of healing even after 2 weeks demand a visit to the doctor. Otherwise, most of them can be taken care of at home.
- Practise good hygiene.
- Use antibacterial soaps.
- Wear loose cotton clothing.
- Take garlic in your diet. Avoid processed foods and eat more of fresh fruits and vegetables to aid healing.
- Treat constipation and bad bowel movements to rid of your toxins.
- Drink plenty of water to help purification and to regulate body heat.