The following remedies and medicines would be beneficial in case of lactose intolerance.
- Have a glass of chamomile tea daily.
- Saffron also inhibits the formation of gas and relieves of lactose intolerance.
Dairy products can be made easier to digest by following these methods:
1. Milk -Milk must be mixed in equal quantities of water. It must be boiled along with digestion promoting spices like cardamom, cinnamon, ginger or cloves and consumed warm.
2. Butter – Butter must be clarified in to ghee form. Ghee is sweeter and lighter in cooking and also encourages digestion. It is also more stable, lactose-free and suitable for all physical constitutions.
3. Cheese – Cheese must be consumed with digestive anti-dotes like black pepper to negate its mucous-forming effects. Young white cheese like ricotta, feta or paneer are better than hard yellow cheeses as they are easier and lighter to digest.
4. Yogurt – Yogurt congests the nasal channels, hence it’s better to consume it as warm buttermilk or as a light lassi.
5. Cream and Ice-Cream – Cream or Ice-Cream must be generally avoided by everyone as they are heavy and difficult to digest. If you’re going to eat them, it’s best to eat them in-between meals or on their own. It should be followed by drinking warm ginger tea.
Increasing tolerance to lactose – Start by drinking 1 tbsp. of milk every day, building up to 1 glass over a six week time period. It’s best to use, non-homogenized, vat pasteurized milk which is easier to digest.