Amalaki is commonly termed as amla or Indian gooseberry. Emblica Officinalis is the botanical name of amalaki. It is one among Triphala.
Amalaki contains fibre, vitamin B1, B3, calcium, iron, phosphorous and rich in vitamin C.
Properties of Amalaki according to Ayurveda-
- Rasa(taste)- Pancharasa lavana varjita- Amla(sour), madhura(sweet), kashaya(astringent), Katu(pungent) and tikta(bitter).
- Vipaka(post-digestive effect)- Madhura(sweet).
- Veerya(potency)- Sheeta(cold potency).
- Effects on dosha- Tridosha hara(normalises all three doshas).
- Rasayana- Anti-aging property.
Health benefits of Amalaki
- Strengthens your immunity against cold, cough and other allergies.
- Hastens wound healing and tissue repair after a trauma.Prevents repeated mouth ulcers.
- Chewing fresh amla strengthens your gums and teeth, cures bad breath, improves appetite and digestion.
- Improves your blood count by increasing the absorption of iron from your food.
- Antioxidant property of amla prevents premature wrinkles, grey hair and pigmentation.
- Promotes collagen synthesis and strengthen your bones, cartilage and other connective tissues.
- Reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, stroke and cancer.
- Promotes fertility and vision.
- Detoxifies your body by improving liver metabolism.
- In alcoholic patient, it reduces oxidative stress and liver disease.
Ayurvedic Formulations of Amalaki
- You can take amalaki churna in acidity, burning micturition and nausea with water or honey
- In diabetes with turmeric.
- In skin diseases, make a paste of amalaki with water and apply on affected area.
- Do hair pack with buttermilk in dandruff, hair fall and premature grey hair.
- To cool your eyes and head, you can apply amalaki paste over your eyelids and on your crown.
- Improves immunity.
- Prevents recurrence of cough, cold, wheezing, hair fall, grey hairy, premature aging.
- Reduces the ill effects of chemotherapy and radiation in cancer patients.
- Delays the progression of degenerative diseases like Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, Multiple sclerosis, etc.