Basic Information and Natural Remedies For Bloodshot Eyes
Bloodshot eyes are a common term used to describe redness of the eyes and people are always looking for some natural remedies for bloodshot eyes especially in times of emergency. One gets bloodshot eyes when the tiny blood vessels present on the eye surface are enlarged and clogged with blood. Bloodshot eyes happen due to lack of oxygen supply towards the tissues over the eyes or the cornea. Normally, bloodshot eyes are not a major health concern; however, if you experience pain in the eye or vision problem then it can be an indication of a serious eye problem. Its either you try some natural remedies for bloodshot eyes or you visit your doctor right away.
Bloodshot eyes with uniformly thick blood covered area formed on the sclera may also be caused due to a mild bleeding in the eyes. This bloody red eyes is more common when one wakes up in the early morning. This blood covered eye is also known as subconjunctival hemorrhage. Thus, natural remedies for bloodshot eyes will always be helpful.
Other symptoms which accompany bloodshot eyes are:
The amount of redness of the eyes does not indicate the severity of the condition; however, other causes will help in identifying the chief cause. Red-shot eyes are not the sole symptom but they may be caused due to other eye problem which may also cause eye pain or vision problem. Bloodshot eyes may be accompanied with other eye problems such as pain, dryness in the eyes, itchiness, inflammation, headache, neck ache, stomach problem like pain or bloating, cough, puffy hands and feet.
What may be the cause of bloodshot eyes:
There are number of reasons that may lead to bloodshot eyes. One may experience bloodshot eyes any time of the day. One may get bloodshot eyes after you participate in a certain activity. The blood filled eyes may not be immediately evident and it may take some time before the visible symptom appears. Sometimes the symptoms may appear in the morning or after a long day of irritation in the eye.
Common causes of bloodshot eyes early in the morning:
Lack of sleep, improper food and diet the day before, alcohol consumption, hangover, particles of cosmetic products left in the eye overnight and reduced tear secretion during night.
Common causes of bloodshot eyes in the night:
Direct sun exposure to the eyes, strained eyes, tiredness, smoke from cigarette, harmful chemical fumes, toxins entering the eyes and trouble caused due to contact lenses.
Other causes of bloodshot eyes maybe:
Conjunctivitis, diabetes, corneal infection, corneal ulcer, corneal abrasion, drugs that cause blood thinning, stress, cold, allergy, kidney problem, hypertension, liver problems, menopause, infection, vitamin deficiency or even pregnancy.
Natural Remedies For Bloodshot Eyes:
1. Try a homeopathic eye drop. Natural homeopathic eye drops are natural remedies for bloodshot eyes that act similar to the natural tears and reduce the symptoms without harming the eyes. Whereas, over the counter eye drops may harm the eyes by shrinking the blood vessels.
2. Cold compress: the tired eyes with feel relaxed by using a cold compress especially when you have bloodshot eyes due to strain or stress. The cold sensation of these natural remedies for bloodshot eyes will help the closed eyes will restrict blood vessels for few minutes while your eyes naturally restore the moisture content.
3. Use a herbal eyewash: boil about half a teaspoon of fennel seeds in a cupful of water for 15 minutes. Strain and let the water cool. Use this strained water as an eye wash to cleanse and soothe bloodshot eyes.
4. Green tea bags: Place the tea bags in the fridge and place them on eyes for about 15 minutes. This will ease swelling or tiredness.
5. Get proper sleep at night.
6. Cucumber slice: Place cold cucumber slices on the eyes to soothe the eyes.
7. Cold water: splash your eyes with cold water to remove any foreign particles and reduce irritation.