Manilkara zapota (Sapodilla) is a popular tropical fruit that is known for its fleshy pulp made up of simple sugars like fructose and sucrose.
Sapodilla is one of those high calorie fruits like sweet potato and bananas. Energy: 84Kcal per 100gms. Sapodilla also contains a good amount of antioxidant vitamins like vitamin-C (24.5% of recommended daily intake per 100 g of fruit), and vitamin A. Vitamin-A is essential for vision. It also required for maintaining healthy mucosa and skin. Consumption of natural fruits rich in vitamin-A has been known to offer protection from lung and oral cavity cancers. So also, consumption of foods containing vitamin-C helps the body develop resistance to combat infectious agents and help scavenge harmful free radicals from the human body.
Add the superb health benefits of Sapodilla to your diet:
– It is full of dietary fibre that prevents constipation. This fruit is taken with a pinch of salt to relieve constipation.
– Sapodilla is known to prevent colon cancer.
– It contains tannin content that relieves gastritis, piles and bowel disorders.
– It has lots of calcium that strengthens the bones.
– It is rich in folate and iron that boosts haemoglobin and immunity.
– It is diuretic in nature and helps in kidney ailments.
-It is a natural sedative and helps people with insomnia, bipolar and sleep disorders.
-Folic acid contained in this fruit is used in the formation of red blood cells and also help in the development of the fetus during pregnancy.
-The bark decoction is known to cure diarrhoea in infants and toddlers.