Delectable, buttery, extremely rich tasting, and a lot of health benefits of pecan nuts make it one of the most popular dried fruits used in the American subcontinent for many centuries.
Health benefits of pecan nuts include being rich in many nutrients, minerals as well as vitamins. The word Pecan comes from Algonquian language which literally means a nut which can be cracked with the help of a stone.
The Pecan nut is derived from the tree named Pecan only. The pecan tree is a large deciduous tree. They are primarily found growing in the southern and central parts of America. Pecan is now grown in America commercially. However, now a days the cultivation of pecan is observed in some other countries. Pecan nuts are 1 – 3 inch in length and about 1 inch broad. It is dark brown in color and oval in shape. The Pecan nuts harvest season starts from October and goes on till December.
The Health Benefits of Pecan Nuts are:
1. The Pecan nuts are extremely good source of energy. The health benefits of pecan nuts provide about 700 calories per hundred grams and it contains several nutrients, vitamins, antioxidants as well as minerals. These components help a person maintain proper health and good energy levels throughout the day.
2. The health benefits of pecan nuts are a rich source of mono-unsaturated fatty acids such as oleic acid. They are also loaded with antioxidants. If you have nuts everyday then they will help bring down the levels of LDL or bad cholesterol and on the other hand increase the level of HDL or good cholesterol in the body. A diet which has sufficient amount of mono-unsaturated fatty acids as well as antioxidants helps in avoiding the risk of heart problems and strokes by maintaining a healthy profile of blood lipid.
3. Health benefits of pecan nuts include being a very good source of photochemical that promotes antioxidant activity. Studies have shown that these substances help in removal of free radicals, shielding the body against many diseases such as infections and even cancerous growth.
4. Pecans are also a rich source of Vitamin E. It is particularly rich in gama tocopherol. Vitamin E plays an important role in reproductive function and hormonal balance. It is also required for proper immune function, DNA repair and a whole host of other metabolic processes. Thus including these health benefits of pecan nuts in your everyday diet will promote better health and wellness
5. The health benefits of pecan nuts have several vitamin components such as niacin, riboflavin, thiamin, Vitamin B6, folates as well as pantothenic acid. They are also very good source of minerals such as selenium, magnesium, calcium, manganese, potassium, iron as well as zinc.
All you need to keep your energy levels full is to take advantage of the health benefits of pecan nuts by having a handful of these nuts every morning. They will provide for entire day’s nutrient requirement. Pecans are easily available in the market in the countries where they are grown in abundance. In other countries, you have to check the imported fruits store to see if they are available. While buying pecan try and opt for non processed ones with their shells on.
You can store unshelled pecans in a cool dry place for several months. The shelled ones require more precaution like you need to store them in air tight jars and store in a refrigerator else they tend to turn bad.