Melasma is an issue related to skin pigmentation -hyperpigmented patches occurs on upper lip, nose and cheeks – seen in women. It is also known as Chloasma. It is commonly known as pregnancy mask, as it is usually seen in pregnant ladies. Melasma also occurs during menopause and those who are taking hormonal pills.
Home Remedies for Melasma
You may try the following home remedies for beneficial results:
- Make a thick paste of turmeric with milk and apply on affected area. Wash off when it is about to dry.
- Massage honey and almond paste regularly on the affected area.
- Apply fresh aloe vera pulp with pinch of turmeric.
- Use sunscreen lotion before stepping out.
- Strictly avoid fall of sun rays on your face by using umbrella or wide rimmed hat.
- Make a face pack using besan, turmeric, milk and few drops of lemon juice.
- Use curds like a cleansing cream. Lactic acid in curds lightens your skin.
- Avoid use of hormonal pills.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Melasma
You can also try these Ayurvedic medicines:
- Internally Manjishtadi Kashayam
- Eladi cream, to be applied on the affected areas, twice daily
- Apply Kumkumadi taila daily on the face. Retain it for 10-15 minutes, then wash it off with lukewarm water
- Single herbs like Vacha, Majishta, Lodra, Haridra, Chandana are also effective
- Prevents pimples, pigmentation scars and wrinkles.
- Contains anti -ageing properties.
- Reduces stretch marks and dark circles.
- Nourishes and tones the skin.
Direction of Use:
Apply 5 drops of oil on face and neck before sleeping in a circular motion. Retain for 30 minutes and wash with lukewarm water. Best results when applied daily.
Melasma occured during pregnancy will disappear few months after delivery, whereas premenopausal pigmentation remains permanent. Constant effort is needed to see significant changes.