In Ayurveda, Diabetes is called Prameha. Unlike modern science that divides diabetes into two categories, Ayurveda further divides prameha or diabetes into 20 sub-divisions. These sub-divisions are based on doshas with 4 divisions due to Vata, 6 due to Pitta and 10 rooted in Kapha dosha.
The main and most common sub-division is the one rooted in Kapha dosha. Prameha when not treated leads to Madhumeha or Diabetes Mellitus (Type 2) According to Ayurveda the primary cause of Prameha and Madhumeha are an unhealthy diet that aggravates the Kapha dosha, lack of exercise, excessive sleep and stress.
Herbal remedies, if taken correctly, have a powerful effect on your body but should only be used under the care and guidance of an Ayurvedic practitioner. These include Jambhul (Eugenia jambolana) powder from jamun core, Guggul, Amalaki, Triphala, Shilajit, Gurmar (gymnema sylvestre) and Bel (Aegle marmelos) Most of these herbs target elevated blood sugar levels and balance the same.
There are several home remedies and ayurvedic medicines that you can take for effective lowering of your blood sugar levels. As a precaution, you should monitor blood sugar on a regular basis. Blood sugar level should not fall drastically with all these medicines and remedies. Kindly speak to your allopathic doctor and reduce the dosage of the anti hyperglycaemic drugs, so that you can use the Ayurvedic formulations simultaneously.
Home Remedies for Diabetes
- Drink a glass of bitter gourd juice mixed with amla juice, added with half teaspoon of turmeric powder, daily morning on empty stomach.
- Include fenugreek seeds in your daily diet.
- Consumption of Jamun seeds (dried and powdered) has proved to beneficial in case of type 2 diabetes.
- Jamun seeds are said to be highly beneficial in treating diabetes because of its effect on the pancreas. Dried and powdered seeds should be taken in the dose of 1 tsp twice daily with warm water.
- The seeds of parslane are useful in diabetes. A teaspoon of the seeds should be taken everyday with half a cup of water for 3-4 months. It will increase the body’s own insulin and will help in curing diabetes.
- Neem leaves should be ground and made into a paste and a small bolus of this should be added to water. This should be taken on empty stomach in the morning.
Ways to Reduce Insulin Resistance
- Add 1 tsp of cinnamon powder to a glass of hot water and drink it daily for a couple of months.
- Mix ground flax seeds to a glass of water and drink daily.
- Consume fish oil which is rich in omega 3 fatty acids. It will improve insulin sensitivity. It will also help to reduce body fat.
- To help balance insulin, consider a diet consisting primarily of lean meats and protein, high-fiber, whole grains, leafy greens, fresh vegetables and legumes, and fresh fruit.
- Essential fatty acids (EFA) or healthy fats, are important to help insulin resistance. These fats include tuna, salmon, and other cold-water fish; fish oil supplements, eggs, avocado, and flaxseed, which can be taken in as a nutritional supplement.
Home Remedies for Oedema (Fluid Retention)
The main reason for oedema is improper blood circulation due to damaged blood capillaries as a result of increased pressure. Damaged capillaries cause peripheral oedema, leakage of fluids into surrounding tissues, which causes swelling. Here are some natural remedies that you can try:
- Elevation of feet (above the heart level) using a support or a pillow for 10-15 minutes every day can help to reduce swelling.
- Regular exercises will improve the blood circulation to the legs.
- Massage improves blood circulation in the entire leg and reduces pain associated with swelling.You may use Chinchadi tailam for massage. It improves the circulation.
- Avoid wearing tight shoes. It’s better to buy shoes with one size bigger so that even if your feet are swollen, circulation won’t reduce totally.
- Apply coriander seeds soaked in water on the affected area to relieve the water retention in your feet.
- You can also soak your limbs in rice water, water for 15-20 minutes for relieving water retention and removing swelling of the leg. Rice water is also good for drinking when you have swollen leg. This will help in micro circulation and removal of inflammation.
- Restrict salt intake.
Healthy Diet for Diabetes
A diabetic patient should never skip meals. Proper meals on time is a must. Raw salads should be taken along with afternoon meals and also for dinner. Sprouted horse gram, green gram, black gram, green peas, etc., should be consumed more. Fried and grilled (BBQ) food should be completely avoided.
Jack fruit, mango, banana, potato, fruit juices, meat should be avoided. Fruits including berries and apples, vegetables like spinach, cauliflower, cabbage, carrot, etc. can be taken.
Barley, oats, brown rice, flax seed, garlic, onion, cinnamon solution can be taken regularly.
Tender coconut water can be taken and the whitish pulp should be avoided as it is high in sugar and fat. Taking coconut water directly improves blood circulation and helps to widen the vessels for smooth blood circulation. Therefore, coconut water provides great relief against fighting the symptoms and side effects of diabetes. It suppresses the appetite and also increases metabolism. Hence it is an ideal drink for obese diabetic patients. Only pure and unflavoured (fresh) coconut water should be taken.
Ayurvedic Medicines for Diabetes
If you are looking for Ayurvedic supplements to manage diabetes, Salacia-O capsule is a beneficial formulation,which should be taken in the dose of 1 capsule twice daily, 30 minutes before food.
Traditional Ayurvedic formulations beneficial in case of diabetic patients are: