Psoriasis is regarded as ekakushta, a type of kshudra kushta according to Ayurveda. This is in the list of curable skin diseases.
Psoriasis can be considered as the vitiation of Vata and Kapha. Irregular food habits, consumption of incompatible food (Eg: diary products with fish), excessive intake of yogurt, black gram, seafood, sour and salted items, etc. can activate the pathogenesis. Alcohol and tobacco consumption will act as a catalyst here. Ayurveda does place emphasis on the effect of stress in the pathogenesis of Psoriasis.
Balancing the body doshas, detoxification and cleansing the body is very important in the management of psoriasis. Toxins are cleansed from the body and the digestion restored to prevent further accumulation. Nourishing herbs are then administered to strengthen and tone the tissues to promote complete healing of the skin.
Along with internal medicines, Ayurvedic Panchakarma procedures should also be done for at least a few months for beneficial results. You may have to consult an Ayurvedic doctor personally and get the external treatment procedures done.
Ayurveda Treatment for Psoriasis
Ayurveda suggests Panchakarma procedures for the treatment of psoriasis. Detoxification of the body is essential. Blood purifying drugs and anti inflammatory drugs are selected for the treatment of psoriasis.
Ayurvedic treatment procedures like shiro vasti, takra dhara (pouring medicated butter milk over the scalp in a continuous manner), lepana (anointing medicated herbal paste over the scalp for a specific duration), etc., are highly beneficial for the treatment of psoriasis.
Recommended ayurvedic medicines for treating psoriasis are:
- Guggulu Tiktakam kashayam – 2 tablets twice daily 1 hour before food.
- Gandhaka rasayanam – 1 tsp at bed time.
- Kaishora guggulu – 2-0-2 along with the kashayam tablets before food.
- Neem capsules – 1 capsule twice daily after food.
- Raz oil – to be applied over the affected areas.
- Manjishtadi kashayam – 2 tablets twice daily 1 hour before food.
- Gandhaka rasayanam – 2 tablets at bed time
- Manjishta powder – it should be mixed with water and applied as a pack
1. Use only mild herbal shampoo like Keshohills hair wash.
2. Avoid deep fried, spicy food, cold food and drinks.
3. Avoid non vegetarian food.
4. Consume only easily digestible food.
5. Avoid excessive salty and acidic food stuffs, radish, urad dal, sesame, jaggery (gur), curds, fish and other sour food stuffs that can trigger psoriasis.
Home Remedies for Treating Psoriasis
You may also try the following home remedies for beneficial results:
1. Take 1 glass of bitter gourd juice, add 1 tsp lemon juice and mix well.Drink this every day on an empty stomach.
2. Soak 2-3 tea spoons of fenugreek seeds in water. Leave it overnight. Grind these soaked seeds in water to make a smooth paste. Leave this paste for 30 minutes to thicken. Add little water to make it thin and apply this on scalp and hair.
3. The use of curd in the form of buttermilk has proved useful in psoriasis and the patient should drink it in liberal quantities.
4. Application of avocado oil gently on the effected part is found to be an effective treatment.
5. Cod liver oil, lecithin, linseed oil, vitamin E, and zinc fasten the healing process.
6. Drinking fresh bitter gourd juice mixed with one teaspoon of lime juice on an empty stomach is an effective psoriasis treatment.
7. Applying aloe vera cream thinly to irritated skin and rubbing lightly is effective.
8. Buttermilk can be used for washing the affected areas. A cloth dipped in buttermilk can be tied around the affected area.
9. The thickest and the greenest outer leaves of cabbage should be thoroughly washed in warm water and dried with a towel. The veins should be removed. The leaves should be warmed and then applied over the affected parts in an overlapping manner. A pad of soft woollen cloth should be put over them.
Header Image Pic Credit: i.ytimg.com
If you would like to get more information and buy some of the ayurvedic products mentioned in this article, please click the links below: