Knee pain is the most common joint problem seen in most people. Knee pain may be temporary due to strain or physical exertion or due to injury like ligament/cartilage tear or chronic conditions like osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout/pseudogout, septic arthritis, bursitis or infection.
Signs and Symptoms of Knee Pain
- Varying pain and tenderness. It may be mild or severe pricking pain
- Reddish colouration
- Unable to do various movements like bending, stretching, etc.
- Inability to bear your body weight
X-ray/CT scan/MRI scan and blood tests will confirm the cause and type of knee joint disease.
Home Remedies for Knee Pain
For knee pain, you may try the following home remedies:
- Roast and crush a handful of fenugreek seeds, take 2 tsp of this powder and add lukewarm water to make a thick paste. Apply on the affected area and remove after drying.
- Massage the affected area with luke warm sesame oil or mustard oil added with powdered camphor. Avoid this in rheumatoid and gouty arthritis.
- Fry 2 cloves of garlic in 2 tbsp of sesame oil or mustard oil until they turn black, remove from heat and strain the oil. Once the oil has cooled to a comfortably warm temperature, massage it into the skin around affected area. Leave it on for about three hours before washing it off. Do this twice daily until you see improvement. You may also add camphor to this oil.
- Soak handful of sesame seeds in water overnight. Chew the seeds and drink the water early in the morning regularly. This remedy will reduce the frequency of your joint pains.
- Hot soups of lentils, pulses and meat should be taken with powder of ginger, black pepper and long pepper added to them.
- Ghee and oils in moderate amounts are necessary in daily diet, as these keep the normal joints properly lubricated and also provide lubrication to the dried up joints.
- To reduce joint degeneration and also strengthen the joints, you can take Shatavari ksheera paka, Laksha, Bala, Arjuna and Ashwagandha.
For adults, the recommended daily value of vitamin D is 600 International Units (IU) or 15 micrograms. Try altering your diet a little to increase your vitamin D intake naturally. Salmon, sardines, shrimp, egg yolk, fortified milk and yogurt, cereals, orange juice are good sources of Vitamin D.
Magnesium is known to be a co-factor of vitamin D. This means that eating foods that are rich in magnesium, or taking magnesium supplements, may help your body to absorb vitamin D more efficiently. Other nutrients that are thought to help your body absorb vitamin D include:
- Boron. Foods that are rich in boron include almonds, apples, hazelnuts, dates and avocados.
- Vitamin K. Foods that are rich in vitamin K include basil, kale, spinach, scallions, brussels sprouts, and asparagus.
- Zinc. Foods that are rich in zinc include oysters, crab, fortified breakfast cereal, lobsters and baked beans.
- Vitamin A. Sweet potatoes, kale, carrots, butternut squash, romaine lettuce and dried apricots are rich in Vitamin A.
Avoid spicy and deep fried food items, cold food and drinks. Also avoid suppressing natural urges and avoid night outs.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Knee Pain
Ayurvedic treatment procedures like Janu Basti, abhyanga, patra pinda sweda, virechana, basti, upanaha, lepa, etc, are highly beneficial in treating this condition.
Knee joint pain can occur due to arthritis, osteoarthritis, wearing of the patella, inflammation of the cartilage and bone, anterior cruciate ligament injury.The treatment may vary depending on the root cause.
These are the medicines which are generally suggested in case of knee joint pain caused due to osteoarthritis, calcium deficiency and joint weakness-
- Bonton granules. Dissolve 1 tsp of bonton granules in a glass of hot milk and consume at bedtime.
- Rasnasaptaka kashayam, Maharasnadi kashayam, Rasnadi kashayam, Dhanwantara kashayam, Punarnavadi kashayam, Dashamoola kashayam and Sahacharadi kashayam are beneficial.
- Joint aid oil for local application (massage)
- Zeotone capsules, 1 capsule a day before food.
- Shallaki capsule, 1 capsule twice daily.
- Arthcare oil for local application(massage)
- Yogaraja guggulu, Shallaki, Maha yogaraja guggulu, Simhanada guggulu, Panchatikta ghrita guggulu, and Vatari guggulu for inflammation and pain.
- Ksheera bala taila, Kottamchukkadi taila, Narayana taila, Dhanvantara ghrita, Maha narayana taila, Gandha taila for lubrication of joints and strengthening of muscles, cartilage, ligaments, and bones.
The Importance of Regular Exercise
- Improving joint mobility and flexibility – One of the most beneficial ways to manage osteoarthritis is to get moving. Simple activities help to improve joint strength, reduce stiffness and manages pain. Even simple activities like walking, easy exercise can reduce pain and help maintain a healthy weight.
- Muscle strength – Strengthening the muscles around the affected joint by exercise helps to reduce the stress, stiffness and pain. Improves joint stability and flexibility.
- Weight Management – Excess weight adds additional stress to weight-bearing joints, such as the hips, knees, feet and back. Losing weight can help people with knee pain to reduce pain and limit further joint damage. Eat the right amount of food and increase physical activity.
- Stretching of joints – Slow, gentle stretching will improve flexibility, reduce stiffness and offer relief from pain. Yoga is extremely good for managing stiffness.
If the knee pain is intense with little relief from home remedies, it is good to consult an Ayurvedic physician to assess the right medication for you based on your body constitution, weight, and on whether you have a chronic or acute condition.
To get information and to buy ayurvedic products for relief from knee pain, please click the links below: